molecular visio application in a Dynamic 3D view

Started by cliff50, May 21, 2013, 06:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff50

Hi,
This runs in visio 2003 pro and I suspect it will also run in later versions.
attached files  Molecule.vsd, Point .mdb,   references.jpg

1/Place the vsd and mdb file in the same folder eg->  D:\Molecular
2/Open the visio file
3/Ensure the references are checked in the macro environment
4/Use the rotate left, rotate right, roll top and roll bottom keys to revolve the 8 coloured spheres.

Each sphere's co-ordinates (X,Y,Z) are located in underlying database table.

The concept is to automate the placement of the the co-ordinates onto the page and allow each sphere to move according to trig functions injected into the shapesheets.

When the rotation is halted, the macros determine which ball is in front of another based on their X,Y,Z co-ordinate and the perspective of the eye.

you may rotate the image using the toolbar buttons supplied or hold cntrl  and left mouse button  and then  move the mouse left ,right, up, down.

use  Reset  button on toolbar to clear the spheres . Use then Draw button to reinstate the spheres

Hope it works for you !
cheers   ;)
Cliff

cliff50

attached is the jpeg to show the references used in the application

Visio Guy

Wow, pretty cool. Worked fine on a Win 7, Visio 2007 machine.

My Win 7, Visio 2010/2013 didn't have Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library installed. I think the ADO stuff is newer, but I can never keep these things straight. (That's why I keep asking Al the same questions over and over :) )
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

cliff50

attached wmv file showing how it works on my screen.

each coloured sphere, when selected, has X,Y Z custom property attributes which may be adjusted via the (shift & left mouse) or (shift & right mouse) or (ctrl & right mouse) and then move the mouse.

alternately you may adjust the database co-ordinates in the points table.
-> "Reset"  and then -> "Draw" again.

The underlying database concept allows for the possibility of deciding  front to back movement of screen shapes in the visio front end,  via a sequel query on the database back end.

Alles ist Gut !

cheers
cliff

Visio Guy

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

cliff50

Hi ,
I used this data driven concept to create a Visio Guy icon in 3D.

To date, the concept is using a database "backend" to refresh the Z order of the Visio shape"frontend".

This is a different to the approach of using the visio environment  (shapesheets) and code to determine the Z order  of shape on the page.

simple shapes are being used  in this example.

to demonstrate on your machine.(macros must be enabled)

1/install the attached vsd and mdb files within the same folder on your machine
2/open the vsd file
3/click "Reset" on toolbar
4/click "Draw" on toolbar
5/use the rotation keys (up/down/left/right) on the custom toolbar suplied

hope it works for you
cheers
Ciff

cliff50

BTW attached video of output and VBA references for this application
cheers
cliff