How do I copy-paste a subshape immediately in to the same group shape?

Started by Visisthebest, March 14, 2023, 11:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

I have a subshape with particular behavior set up for within a group shape. This becomes messed up when dropped on to the page.

I want to copy-paste the subshape and drop it immediately in to the same group shape, I know how to drop a shape in to a group but this does not work with copy-paste the shape ends up on the page first each time which messes up the formulas.

How to drop a subshape on paste immmediately in to the same group shape? Thank you for sharing your insights!
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Why don't you want to go inside the group?

Visisthebest

Visio 2021 Professional

Yacine

Even with Surrogates method, it happens to me that I break links.
Then I go with SETF/GetRef to rewrite The parent ID in formulas. Very error prone.
Yacine

Visisthebest

Thank you Yacine yes I still get those annoying REF() 's in the formulas after paste in the group, fortunately combining Surrogate's and your suggestion works fine!
Visio 2021 Professional

vojo

manual mode.

1) go to behaviors and select "add to group on drop" and "accept shape on drop"
2) select the shape or sub shape of interest
3) copy
4) drag over new group until the hash lines show up
5) when hash lines seen, release paste

copied shape is now part of new group.

Visisthebest

Thank you Vojo that is how I did it initially and it works for copying in to the group, but the problem is the formulas that break and suddenly have REF() statements in them.
Visio 2021 Professional

LorenzoErickson12

Quote from: Visisthebest on March 14, 2023, 11:52:08 AM
I have a subshape with particular behavior set up for within a group shape. This becomes messed up when dropped on to the page.

I want to copy-paste the subshape and drop it immediately in to the same group shape, I know how to drop a shape in to a group but this does not work with copy-paste the shape ends up on the page first each time which messes up the formulas.

How to drop a subshape on paste immmediately in to the same group shape? Thank you for sharing your insights!
To copy and paste a subshape into the same group shape and ensure that its particular behavior is preserved, you can follow these steps:

Select the subshape you want to copy.
Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C (Windows) or Command+C (Mac) to copy the subshape.
Click on the group shape that you want to paste the subshape into to select it.
Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V (Windows) or Command+V (Mac) to paste the subshape into the group shape.
By default, when you paste a copied shape, it will be placed in the center of the page. However, if you hold down the Shift key while pasting, the shape will be pasted in its original position. So, to ensure that the subshape is dropped immediately into the same group shape, hold down the Shift key while pasting.

wapperdude

As preliminary steps, from the Developer tab > behavior, confirm that:
1) group accepts shapes on drop
2) selected shape will join group on drop

Since this sounds like you're duplicating, then <Cntl>+D ought to work.

Ed.  <Cntl>+C & +V  do not preserve the references.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro