When data graphic element is displayed BELOW the shape, does not connect well

Started by caroline@processi.ca, October 01, 2017, 02:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caroline@processi.ca

Hi there,

When a data graphic element is displayed BELOW the shape and I use the auto align/auto space and auto connect, fuctions, they do not recognize the tru center of the shape.  See attached file.

I hape spent soooo many hours trying to correct this throuh shapesheets but it DOES NOT WORK.

HELP!

wapperdude

Actually, it does behave properly.  The problem is the size of the callout shape is larger than the shape it's associated with.  So, if the centers are aligned, the text seems pushed to the right.  Select and resize the callout.  Should work.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

caroline@processi.ca

Hey, the problem is not that the text is pushed to the right, the issue is that the sequence flow connector does not connect to the connection point is the center of each shape when the callout is UNDER the shape. Have you seen the attached file?

wapperdude

Yes, I did look at your attached file.  I mis-read your original description, and thought it was an issue with aligning the shapes, and not the connectors.

It does look like a bug.  I was able to replicate the problem, which exists if you move the datagraphic either above or below the referenced shape.  Couple of curious attributes to this problem.  If you first connect to the shape, then move the datagraphic, then disconnect/reconnect. All is well...unless the shape is duplicated with the moved datagraphic.  Problem seems to manifest only if the datagraphic is first shifted and then connectors applied.  In addition, once the bad behavior manifests itself, returning the datagraphic to it's original, interior position does not restore the correct behavior...unless it is subsequently duplicated, then behavior returns to normal.

So, yes, weird behavior.  Haven't been able to track it down, but it does seem that for walking glue connections, the shape center is being shifted, causing the connector to glue off center.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Decided to do couple more tests.  Took your normal center shape.  Drew a new rectangle, added it to the group, moved it inside the shape boundary.  Connector aligns as expected/desired.  Moved the new rectangle outside the shape boundary, and then the connector has a jog.

Next, made simple square, plus rectangle, grouped, and then moved the rectangle inside the square.  Again, the connectors align as expected.  Now, move the rectangle outside the group boundary.  This time, the connector still aligns as expected...no jog.  It looks like the problem is associated with the main shape and not the datagraphic.

I'd suggest making a really simple shape, add a datagraphic, and run the various tests.  I have V2007 standard and cannot do datagraphics...well not easily.

Wapperdude

Edit:  Forgot to mention that when making the simple test, open the grouped shapesheet, go to the protection section, and set LockWHCalc to "1"...no quotes.  This will prevent the alignment box from resizing when you move the datagraphic outside of the shape borders.
Visio 2019 Pro