News:

BB code in posts seems to be working again!
I haven't turned on every single tag, so please let me know if there are any that are used/needed but not activated.

Main Menu

Visio 2007 - update a common shape on multiple pages

Started by dgoogle, March 21, 2013, 02:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgoogle

hi team,
if I have a shape to be reused on a number of pages within a Visio document, how can these be linked together so that if I update the object on one page it will update the same object on all pages?

cheers,
dg

aledlund

What do you mean by update (what is changing)? What Edition of Visio are you using (standard, pro)?
al

Yacine

Best would be to edit the master instead of the shape itself.
Yacine

aledlund

I was just wondering if the 'update' was shapedata, and it can be accomplished via datalinking (thus trying to determine if Pro version is available).
al

dgoogle

Version: Visio 2007 Pro

Scenario:
I have created a network diagram that has multiple pages.
A number of the shapes are referred to on multiple pages.
In the case where an attribute, eg label, spacing etc, needs to be changes I don't want to have to repeat the steps on each page.
I would, for example, change the label of an object on the first page and all copies of that object would be updated across all pages.

I'm new to advances features such as shapedata and master etc.

As always thank you in advance for your guidance.

cheers,
dg

aledlund

assuming the label of the object was stored in shape data, maybe this will give you some ideas
(it's certainly the way I'd be doing it)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio-help/demo-show-it-like-it-is-connect-data-to-your-visio-diagram-HA010051819.aspx

al

Browser ID: smf (is_webkit)
Templates: 4: index (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 6: init, html_above, body_above, main, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), Post.english (default), Editor.english (default), Drafts.english (default).
Style sheets: 4: index.css, attachments.css, jquery.sceditor.css, responsive.css.
Hooks called: 226 (show)
Files included: 34 - 1306KB. (show)
Memory used: 1082KB.
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 13: 0.00147s for 26,766 bytes (show)
Cache misses: 2: (show)
Queries used: 16.

[Show Queries]