Rescale/Resize Floor Plans

Started by tracyb07, June 10, 2011, 09:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracyb07

I read the post below and have experienced the same problems.  I need to re-purpose floor plans that were drawn in various scales, (yet not drawn in proper scale).  I need to take a drawing done in say, 1/4" scale, rescale it to 1":1' and then resize it down in order to keep it on a single sheet.  I've tried to group the drawing in order to resize it but I run into the same problem of wonky walls as in the referenced post.  I've resized drawings successfully in the past so it must be something I'm either forgetting or not doing in proper sequence.

http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2136.msg9540#msg9540

The other question I have is about getting the proper measurements once I've rescaled and resized.  I tested with a simple drawing but the measurements were still wrong afterward.  e.g., A doorway measured 3 inches before (in the wrong scale), and remained same even after I changed scale and resized, ungrouped & saved.  Walls and area measurements were still way too small as well.  Does grouping play into that? 

To be clear, my steps are: group drawing, copy & paste to new drawing set in 1:1 scale, resize (shrink), ungroup - wonky walls.

I was just informed of all this today and the meeting is next week!  I'm already under 2 other large deadlines which doesn't leave much time to devote to researching this so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

wapperdude

Let's see if I understand this.  You have a drawing that is 1/4" = 1'.  It has a certain physical size on the page, let's say the room measures 4 1/4" by 5 1/2".  Then, change the scale, so that 1" = 1'.  The drawing now is really big for the physical page it's drawn on.  So, you resize everything, such that the room occupies the same width and length.  As a result, a door that covered 3" at the 1st scale factor will, once again, cover 3" at the new scale factor.  The only thing that changed was, the original room represented 17' by 22', but now, it is 4 1/4 feet by 5 1/2 feet.  All of the proportionality stays the same.  Your door was 12' in the original, but now is 3'.

If your boss wants everything scaled the same, then, some drawings will take up much more paper.  If you shrink the drawing to fit the same sheet size, then, you alter the actual dimensions of what's drawn.  Can't have it both ways.  That's what scaling is for.  To make large objects smaller to fit on a page.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro