Dynamic excel chart links become envelope shapes

Started by canadiense999, September 28, 2021, 05:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadiense999

Hello ...

I have Excel 365 and Visio 2019.  In Visio I have linked a number of charts in Excel that change daily.  I switched to the Technical Preview stream in Office recently.  Everything works, but now the Excel links are not always visible - they're replaced with what looks like envelopes.  Any idea why Excel charts linked in Visio are represented by envelope-looking boxes and how to get rid of that and return to a "live" update of the chart?

Thanks!

Surrogate

Hi, from Russia !

Sorry, as i wrote early I am Russian. Not sure that i correct understand what do you mean as Excel Charts ?

cross-post

canadiense999

Hello Russia!

Open Excel, create a bar chart.  Copy it with CTRL-C.  Open Visio.  Right-click and Paste Special, choose Paste Link.

Then, whenever the chart changes in Excel, the Visio link changes.

Surrogate

You have a visio document that contains some embedded Excel charts. You implemented them some time ago. In those days you were using a different version of MS Excel. After upgrading/change your version of Excel did you encounter this problem?

canadiense999

Yes ... but not that long ago.  Now that's it's Excel "365" the version changes are transparent.

Maybe re-embed the charts?  The charts still refresh, but now they're a bit wonky. 

Surrogate

canadiense999

Nope.  Didn't work.  Still looks like this when I refresh.

canadiense999

My version:  Microsoft® Visio® 2019 MSO (Version 2109 Build 16.0.14430.20224) 64-bit

Surrogate

All know that when you add embed chart to visio document, visio engine write that this ole-object must be opened with current MS Office version. Often my colleges who used another versions of MS MS Office cant open and update ole-objects.

Right now you use web-based Excel version?