Where is text stored + how are shape data entries formatted

Started by miless2111s, June 03, 2021, 02:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miless2111s

I am using the update database functionality to control the size, location, colour etc for shapes.  It also pulls across the text to be displayed in the shape.  This text is then controlled using the Character, Paragraph, text block format and text transform elements of the shape sheet.

I am looking to move across the the more "modern" data methods but I wonder where is the text to be displayed in the shape stored in the shape sheet?  I can't see it anywhere unless I'm being blind and stupid.  I know that I can display a field on a shape to display one or more items from the Shape Data entries but I don't know where the location and formatting of these is controlled.

Another area of uncertainty is what happens to an inserted field displaying the contents of one of the Shape Data rows if someone types into the shape; my first set of testing suggests that it gets obliterated which would be bad.

can anyone help with these questions? :)

Thanks

Surrogate

Text don't stored in ShapeSheet !
Quote from: Nikolay on July 17, 2015, 08:43:07 AM
Why shape text is not a ShapeSheet cell (or was not made available as a shape-sheet cell)?
You just can get it via function ShapeText. With syntax Shapetext(TheText)

wapperdude

Text obliterated:  this is normal functionality, but can be altered.  Do you want to allow user to enter text or not?
Visio 2019 Pro

miless2111s

Quote from: wapperdude on June 03, 2021, 03:57:55 PM
Text obliterated:  this is normal functionality, but can be altered.  Do you want to allow user to enter text or not?
I don't want the user to be able to over write the text which has been sent across using the data link

miless2111s

Quote from: Surrogate on June 03, 2021, 03:07:59 PM
Text don't stored in ShapeSheet !
Quote from: Nikolay on July 17, 2015, 08:43:07 AM
Why shape text is not a ShapeSheet cell (or was not made available as a shape-sheet cell)?
You just can get it via function ShapeText. With syntax Shapetext(TheText)
so if I have "Name" which has come across as part of the shape data import how do I display this on the shape?
Many thanks
Miles

wapperdude

There has never been a "text" cell in shapesheet.  There were probably a variety of reasons for that decision, but an obvious one that occurs to me... what if a full page's worth of text were entered?  Yikes!  That would be horrible.

So the main ways of working with text include via shapesheet: Shapetext(), field insert, and via code: principally "chars".  See http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=7638.msg32400#msg32400

As far as to preventing text editing, you can use the LockTextEdit cell in shapesheet.  I believe this will still allow use of data import.  This is also assignable via the GUI:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/prevent-or-allow-changes-to-shapes-e65decf4-0eed-4fd6-a7d9-b286abcbc7eb

See this link for some notes about its use:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2019.0
Visio 2019 Pro

ncjackson112480

Hey man, I think I know what you are trying to do.  And because Visio as evolved by adding rather converting or melding its object model there are several fields unused or you have to learn (for example Task that you right click and make a Subprocess, is not the same as dragging Suprocess in the first place and/or changing it to a Task ... It keeps it's original Shape_Name and Shape_ID but tells the story through property fields and that goes for TO and FROM directions as well I discovered) and for Shape_IDs don't mean the same depending on if you are looking at an object relative to instance on the sheet (single and unique) or as it relates to connectors.  I don't think I can attach the 3 files I wanted to, but the basics that might help is that it took me at minimum 3 separate extracts to get all the relationships to represent object coordinates, object relationships, and object prosperities.  So let me attach one an example and then the extract spreadsheet that should have all 3 imports in it after running in Visio.

If this is more confusing or doesn't help, I apologize.