Automatically set label text distance from shapes and do not split connectors

Started by Jacob2021, May 13, 2021, 04:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob2021

I am creating automated flowcharts from Excel data using the Visio Data Visualizer tool in Visio Plan 2. When the flowchart is created, I am getting three problems:

1. The text (Yes, No) for the connector lines come from a single location on the shapes and not two. This line then splits into two lines, making it hard to follow a path. (Coloured blue in image)

2. The text is not close enough to the shapes and sometimes I have to follow the line across the page just to realise it was the wrong path I was following. (Coloured green in image)

3. Many of the parallel connector lines are too close together, again, making it difficult to follow. I want to set a minimum spacing distance for parallel lines. (Coloured brown in image)

I have tried enabling the Developer tab (File > Options > Customize Ribbon > selecting Developer box from the Main Tabs dropdown on the right), then clicking on Behavior from the tab and changing the Connector splitting options. This seems to do nothing though. I feel like I need some macro for the text location and parallel line spacing.

Does anyone have any potential solutions?

(Image link feature is not working, here is the link)
https://imgur.com/79ZY3kw

Surrogate

Quote from: Jacob2021 on May 13, 2021, 04:10:46 AM
    3. Many of the parallel connector lines are too close together, again, making it difficult to follow. I want to set a minimum spacing distance for parallel lines. (Coloured brown in image)
Let try use Re-Layout Page, you can find it in Design tab at Ribbon

Jacob2021

Quote from: Surrogate on May 13, 2021, 07:26:32 AM

Yes I have tried all the different layouts. They all put the parallel lines too close together and the labels too far from the shapes.

Surrogate

Quote from: Jacob2021 on May 14, 2021, 02:41:43 AM
Yes I have tried all the different layouts. They all put the parallel lines too close together and the labels too far from the shapes.
I look at your picture

1. Where is pools at your diagramm ?
2. At screenshot i can see 2 blue connector with another line weight: are these lines was created with Data Visualizer ?

MS manual about layouts

wapperdude

Couple of things:

1)  I would build the "Yes" / "No" text into the decision shape.  That way it's always where you need it... at the place where decision is made.

2) you could save a special connector with the text location at the beginning end.  This places it at generally right spot.  The problem is you make extra work.... enter yes or no each time, reposition if connector is horizontal or vertical, using multiple connector "types" on drawing which makes difficult to merely do copy/paste.

3) Spacing parallel connectors is always difficult, even in professional systems. 
Visio is worse because the connectors are dynamic and will re-route if there are drawing changes.  You can set do not re-route, but I find that's not perfect either. 
> You can also specify spacing distances, but that's never worked well for me.  Even set the grid spacing, but that can  become too fine to be good solution.
> You can use the contractor's text to label it to provide some kind of identifier. 
> Or, you can just select one and see where it goes...even temporarily changing it's color to provide visual aid.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jacob2021

Quote from: Surrogate on May 13, 2021, 07:26:32 AM

I am aware of this option, but to be honest it is terrible. It creates overlapping connectors and overall bad layout decisions so I try to avoid it.

Quote from: Surrogate on May 14, 2021, 07:14:37 AM
Quote from: Jacob2021 on May 14, 2021, 02:41:43 AM
I look at your picture

1. Where is pools at your diagramm ?
2. At screenshot i can see 2 blue connector with another line weight: are these lines was created with Data Visualizer ?

MS manual about layouts

I have just marked this up in Paint.

Quote from: wapperdude on May 14, 2021, 02:58:37 PM
Couple of things:

1)  I would build the "Yes" / "No" text into the decision shape.  That way it's always where you need it... at the place where decision is made.

2) you could save a special connector with the text location at the beginning end.  This places it at generally right spot.  The problem is you make extra work.... enter yes or no each time, reposition if connector is horizontal or vertical, using multiple connector "types" on drawing which makes difficult to merely do copy/paste.

3) Spacing parallel connectors is always difficult, even in professional systems. 
Visio is worse because the connectors are dynamic and will re-route if there are drawing changes.  You can set do not re-route, but I find that's not perfect either. 
> You can also specify spacing distances, but that's never worked well for me.  Even set the grid spacing, but that can  become too fine to be good solution.
> You can use the contractor's text to label it to provide some kind of identifier. 
> Or, you can just select one and see where it goes...even temporarily changing it's color to provide visual aid.

Thank you. I think this is the answer I am looking for.

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro