What do you use Visio for?

Started by dmbalzer, April 23, 2021, 01:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmbalzer

So I have been working with an HVAC contracting company for about 5 years, and am a controls engineer.

We use visio to develop our controls submittals i.e. controller wiring details, system communication architecture, and controller flow diagrams with end devices and they're location on HVAC equipment which is used by our technicians to install our systems.

If you don't know what I mean take a look at the stock stencils Maps and Floorplans -> Building Plan -> HVAC Controls & HVAC Controls Equipment (I randomly found these one day and noticed a competitor uses those shapes exclusively!)

Apparently it is utilized industry-wide (HVAC Controls engineering)

I love tinkering with automating with VBA and Visio's broad application capabilities, but really do not know what else visio is used for beyond database visualization, or network diagramming.

So I wanted to ask what do you use Visio for yourself?

wapperdude

Before I retired, I used Visio to create wiring diagrams, custom IC layout concepts, PWB layout concepts, test diagrams, and presentation charts, including design/test team org charts.

Outside of work:  audio system diagrams including component placements, wiring, system documentation, trouble shooting/failure charts, seating diagrams, equipment trade-off comparison charts.

Answering forum questions.

Fun stuff:  model train layouts, picture frames, some animation stuff, some artsy stuff, etc.
Visio 2019 Pro

dmbalzer

Thanks for the reply! Train layouts would lend themselves nicely to some smart shapes, like keeping a train shape locked on a track, very neat!

Visisthebest

Are you aware of this amazing business case?

"We are using Visio to keep 110 construction phases and 26 engineering companies coordinated so that we stay true to our construction schedule—and keep the trains running without interruption."

Christoph Jauslin: Senior Project Manager
Swiss Federal Railways

https://customers.microsoft.com/en-us/story/824893-swiss-federal-railways-travel-and-transportation-microsoft-visio

Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

IMHO All these words about business processes which drawing with Visio

wapperdude

Quote from: Surrogate on April 24, 2021, 09:15:03 AM
IMHO All these words about business processes which drawing with Visio

Not sure what you mean?  Did part of your post disappear?
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Quote from: wapperdude on April 24, 2021, 02:10:53 PM

The Swiss railway document.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

Ah!  Yes.  Didn't bother to check the link.  Makes sense now.
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Quote from: wapperdude on April 24, 2021, 02:10:53 PM
I meant that with the help of the built-in visio tools, you can only diagrams of business processes like BPMN.
My friends who work on the railway industry in Russia use stencils of their own design. 

Bork

Since retiring, I use Visio in my new role as a professional student.  In plasma cutting table, I used it to draft my designs.  (When people wanted me to make an item from an existing item, I took a picture of the item with a ruler on it; then I scanned the picture into Visio, and enlarged/reduced picture to correct size in Visio based on the ruler, and then traced item in order to cut it out.)   In Auto shop, I used it once to cut out a firewall for friend's racer, and another time to draw the electrical schematic for a friend's home-built dragster.  Came in handy in CNC class, not only to draw the item but then to use the shape information to write up the G Code – what's the angle and distance in the pentagon shape from point X,Y? - look in the shape sheet.  Came in very handy in motor control. While other students were hand drawing their schematics and electrical ladders, I was able to use Visio to draw the schematics and create a stencil to represent the components.

At home I used Visio to draw a map to identify my neighbors. Inserted a picture of my neighborhood from Google Maps, placed a shape on each house and added shape data with their name, address, telephone number, spouse and kids.  I also used Visio to draw the wire schematic for my house so I know which outlet/device is on which breaker box switch (work in progress, as I trip breakers) (Sidenote: used Staple's print service to print out an E size drawing that I can make notes on.)  Also used Visio to show the lay out of my sprinkler system (laid over a Google map of my yard), to show where the sprinkler heads are and on which station.  If you are ambitious, you can actually lay out the spray pattern to show water coverage. (Opportunity for someone build a Visio add-on for sprinkler installers.)  When I wanted to screen-in the gazebo, I used Visio to draw up several different designs to see which one looked best.  I also have a boat trailer that I sometimes use to haul other items by removing the bunks; used Visio to lay out the locations where to bolt them back on.

Here's something else that I was playing with Visio but am too lazy to continue with.  May be of interest to others or an opportunity for someone to make some money.  Use Visio to draw up sport plays. Attached file shows an example for football, but it could be used for basketball, soccer, etc.  The first page shows a play layout, with a bucket below of other available players to swap out. (Color scheme is fill for jersey, line for pants color.) If you click on one of the three numbered players, it brings up shape data that includes name, number, health status, etc. The second page utilizes Visio fly away feature where you could rotate in different defense schemes to show how to play against them. Included short draft stencil.  If you make a gazillion dollars from this, please remember me.