Rotate Visio Page

Started by alk, August 29, 2020, 07:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alk

Been using visio for 12 years and suddenly the page tilted, no idea how I did it, but it can be useful.
Can someone please tell me how to reproduce the effect?

Paul Herber

Don't get used to it. You must be using an older version of Visio, 'cos this feature has been removed in more recent versions.
You get the page rotation by holding down the Ctrl key and hovering the mouse over the page corner. There's no shapesheet control over it.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

alk

Great thank you.
I have no intention of updating from visio2007, since then they have removed the floating toolbars and ability to drag and clipart into the clipart manager. I will wait until they are replace before I update!

Surrogate

Paul is right, this opportunity removed in Visio 2013!

vojo

no cant tilt page ....but

1) draw your shapes on the page
2) group them all
3) rotate the group as needed
4) create a similar background page (maybe want to oversize to hide visio page orientation)
5) add grids, sunsets, etc to background page (helps the viewer of the page get his spatial orientation)
6) use that background page with current page by selecting the background page

BTW, any sort of tilted solution will be hard for PDFs and prints.

Visio Guy

You can still rotate the page in Visio 2020/MS365 (or whatever it is called)

File > Options > Advanced > Editing Options > Show page rotation handles on Ctrl+hover

Note: I found that it was easier to get the rotation handle by going to the left of the top-right corner. Normally, one would think the rotation handle would appear near or outside the corner, but after fiddling for several minutes, I found it as shown in the attached image.

There used to be an Angle cell for the ThePage's ShapeSheet, but that is no longer there. And you can't even reference it.

You can see that it is still there via automation, as this VBA Immediate Window code shows:

?visio.ActivePage.PageSheet.Cells("Angle")

?visio.ActivePage.PageSheet.Cells("Angle").name
Angle

I did some research on this a few weeks ago, which I fed to John Marshall, who threw it up on Microsoft Answers, if you want more gory details!

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Surrogate

Quote from: Visio Guy on August 31, 2020, 02:29:10 PM
File > Options > Advanced > Editing Options > Show page rotation handles on Ctrl+hover
I use Visio 2016 Standard (with Russian interface), there i can't find Show page rotation handles on Ctrl+hover option  :o

wapperdude

V2019 Pro has it, as indicated by Visio Guy...including the fiddling to make the rotation handle appear.  😱😁

Why would I ever want to do this???
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

I would not be surprised if it was a Visio-Pro-only feature. The feature was originally added for use with the "architectural" offerings that came with early versions of Visio Technical.

The idea was to be able to work on a non-orthogonal portion of a floorplan without having to rotate every shape. So you could rotate the page, say 30°, then work in "right-side-up mode", simply dropping shapes and doing "everything at right angles". When you were done with that room, rotate the page back to 0°, and all of those shapes would be rotated, relative to the drawing.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

alk

Simple WapperDude, these features and other like them are meant for people who are serous about their drawings, not for amateur flow-charters. Take a look at the type of stuff we draw with Visio and CorelDraw
I am still using Visio2007, since every version from then on seem to have 'dummified' the drawing potential of the package...I still check up every year or two in hope that more drawing tools will be added for my sake.

wapperdude

@alk:  none of those examples require "page" rotation.  Those all could still be done.  People make "serious" drawings in Visio all the time.  Not saying it's the best tool for some of those, but, it's a usable platform for a wide variety of drawing types. 

The one advantage of page rotation is for a drawing that uses dynamic connectors that have been carefully placed.  But should you decide that you want to rotate such a diagram, those connectors automatically re-route.  However, if the entire page is rotated, then, that re-routing doesn't happen.  But, if you copy paste from a rotated page to a non-rotated page, you will lose the page rotation effect.  So, this is still mildly useful.
Visio 2019 Pro

YossiD

For me, not being able to rotate complete Visio diagrams without things going haywire is a real shortcoming. I sometimes need to use the same Visio diagram in both and Word and PowerPoint, with the Word documents being portrait and the PowerPoint in landscape. Furthermore, many of my Visio diagrams are too wide to fit nicely on a portrait page so I need to rotate them. So far I have not found a reliable way to do that as connectors seem to reroute themselves haphazardly, even when they are anchored with connection points at both ends.

The current "workaround" is to save the Visio diagrams as images and then paste them in the documents, but that's a lousy way to do it since it is then necessary to keep track of the Visio diagram separately from the Word or PowerPoint file.

I'm using Visio 2013.

alk

Hello Yossi, I hear the problem, best I can think of is the 'trim' the connectors so that they become lines and then cut and past

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on August 31, 2020, 02:42:06 PM
I use Visio 2016 Standard (with Russian interface), there i can't find Show page rotation handles on Ctrl+hover option  :o
Now I use Visio 2019 Professional (RUS), there with default settings i also didn't find this feature
Quote from: Visio Guy on August 31, 2020, 02:29:10 PM
For activate this opportunity, you must open Windows registry editor (regedit.exe), navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Visio\Application and modify a String type entry called ShowPageRotationHandle. All you need to do is change the value from 0 to 1.