UML Model Explorer

Started by NottsStar, January 06, 2015, 11:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NottsStar

Not directly related to the UML Model Explorer, more to one of the features it provided. I am trying to produce a visio doc representing the interfaces between many systems within a large company landscape. I can use any shape to represent the system and dynamic connectors to associate them. I find that sometimes in a new page I want to use the some of the same systems that I have already  documented on a previous page. I could just copy and paste the required system shapes and connectors but that just just gives me duplicates which is annoying if want to change any of the shapes custom field values as I need to do it on all copies.

This problem reminded me of a feature of the Use Case model in earlier versions of Visio <2010 where re-using existing use cases from the UML Model onto multiple pages would automatically associate them if they had previously been associated. Being a relative newbie to visio I though I would take a look to see how this feature was implemented but I find that the UML Model Explorer no longer exists in Visio 2013 ... which probably leads me to think that it was too ingrained within Visio to simply copy and tweak for my own needs.

Either way, does anyone have any ideas of how I may be able to effectively re-use shapes from one page to another automatically connecting them if they have been connected elsewhere ?

Paul Herber

The UML shapes have been completely redesigned for Visio 2013, and the addon (the model explorer + other behaviour) behind the old UML shapes has been removed. There was zero chance of being able to change how it worked.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/