Model Railroading

Started by wapperdude, February 07, 2009, 05:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

The attached files provide the basic shapes for planning O-scale track layouts.  They ought to be adaptable without too much trouble to other scales.  The curve sections use control points to change the arc size, e.g., 45 deg, 90 deg, and to reposition the text.  The arc size goes in discrete angular increments allowed based upon circular diameter.  These are defined by the Lionel fastrack series.  There are numerous features accessible by double clicking or right clicking.

The template has been updated as of this post.  The sample track took me about 5 minutes to put together.

Enjoy and happy model railroading.   :)

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

I have never been fully satisfied with the curve track implementation.   :P  There was always an extra geometry point (the BeginX point, to be specific) that kept cluttering up the layout.  The curve has now been reworked to eliminate that clutter.  The result is much better, I think, and interestingly, results in a shape with zero width and height!  Can't get more compact than that!!!  Now there are only the two connection points at the beginning and ending of the curve section -- as it ought to be!   :o
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Updated the stencil a little.  The curve track has a colored base, green for left turn-out, red for right turn-out, plus the text remains right reading.  It's built into the shape.  Also, a new layout plan to better showcase the shape features.  The colored section of track would be elevated.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

To help visualize the layout beyond the track plan, the attached stencil has some basic structures:  buildings, trees, car, tunnel portal, even a light tower.  Very basic.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

I've updated the accessories somewhat, and am including the Visio file since there are custom line patterns for the track, road, and driveways.  Also, the "car" is a smarter shape, right click allows you to change the color.  Note the addition of a crossing gate.
Visio 2019 Pro

Lars-Erik

Seriously nice! I'm gone try this, map out my old marklin track. Should still be somewhere in the attic :P

edit:
Perhaps consider locking the other track shapes width just like you did with the junctions? I keep resizing shapes instead of dragging them.

-Lars

wapperdude

Thanks for the feedback Lars.  I went thru the stencil shapes and "locked" down the width/height for track items.  Did not update the actual layout though (well I did update the Document stencil).  Also found a couple of buildings whose grouping wasn't set correctly.  I'm reposting with an updated file, please let me know if there are still any problems.

While I was at it, I improved the "glow" of the street lamp, and added headlights to the car that can be turned on and off, switched low/high beams.
Visio 2019 Pro

davidoff

Great Work!!!
Wayne you do fandastic jobs' congs.

Paul Herber

Just as a matter of interest, is there a reason for the track being 3-rail? I've not seen 3-rail model track in the UK since the 1960s (well, apart from real-life, my local railways are all 3rd rail 630V DC).

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

Lionel which made O-gauge scale (1/4" = 1ft) very popular in the US, used a 3 rail system.  Other scales, G, HO, N, etc use two rail systems.  I grew up with Lionel and as I get back into things, will resume with O-gauge.  The nice thing about Visio, is that the track parts are custom line patterns.  Don't like three rails, make a new definition.
Visio 2019 Pro