Problem saving a huge Visio file

Started by Hey Ken, February 03, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Ken

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.  Some replies in return...

Paul:

I got a laugh out of your response to install more memory.  Seems obvious!  However, it's not an easy option for a few reasons.  First, it's a work machine, and I'd need to petition those pesky Powers That Be to upgrade memory.  But even if they'd agree, that wouldn't be the best idea because it is a work project.  Given that I have problems opening the file, it's a sure bet that others won't be able to open it either, or be able to maintain it going forward.  Everyone would then need more memory, and that's a non-starter.  Regardless, thanks for the thought.  One thing I've noticed from your responses here and from around the web is that you always think outside the proverbial box.  Good stuff.  To quote the best programmer I ever met, "More importantly than solving the problem correctly is to solve the correct problem."

Yacine:

You sound like Paul.  ;- )  Unfortunately your outside-the-box solution won't work either, and for the same reason: those pesky Powers That Be.  It's a noticeable trend with the larger companies I work with that they do not allow people to have access to Access.  That's because production data and production processes end up being run by one particular person on one particular machine; and when something invariably happens to either, the company is in deep doo-doo.  So getting access to Access is unlikely at best; I'm counting myself lucky I have Visio—it took a Director's approval for that.  But Access for the masses?  Never.

Vojo:

My opinion exactly!  Live and learn, and let's hope no one gets fired along the way.

Thanks again,

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

Nikolay

Tell you company to buy a P4B license :D

I'm not an employee of P4B anymore, but can tell that it seems to be capable of addressing the issue - the model diagrams can be stored in a a database, a folder or in the SharePoint ensuring security while still allowing linking, navigation and sharing data (business data) between diagrams and managing that data from a single repository, left aside other good stuff (like providing publishing a static web-site for those who do not have Visio)... Our customers were mostly such large companies with their, duh, "top-secret" business processes. We had customers with ~1000 diagrams in a model.