News:

BB code in posts seems to be working again!
I haven't turned on every single tag, so please let me know if there are any that are used/needed but not activated.

Main Menu

What is the name for this object?

Started by kir936, January 29, 2016, 09:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kir936

Hi, I'm new here, first port. I'm not a heavy Visio user, but I wrote quite a bit of OLE automation code in different languages to drive Office applications, including Visio. So far the road was relatively smooth, until I decided to hone my "design skills".

I decided to create my own master shape in the stencil file (I was manipulating existing shapes before) and to speed up process I copied existing one, opened Master Explorer and deleted all Sheet's from the Shape, except one, the main one. I started adding new graphics elements and noticed that the shape is not centered vertically - there's a blue dotted line running across the shape with two connection points at the ends. I'd expect it to run at Y=0, but it actually runs above zero. I tried to move it to zero (I want to attach my new object to other objects which have connection points at Y=0) but I can't! There's no way to select this line or these connection points and move them. Any time I try to move, the shape moves or rotates. Now, my problem is how do I google for it? What is the name of this line in Visio? I'm googling for 3 hours already and came empty handed. I understand that I'm stupid and it's okay, but now I can't just erase everything and draw from scratch (which would have taken 30 minutes instead of hours) and I _need_ know what this "baseline" is and how to manipulate it.

Bonus question: how to get/alter the position of this line programmatically? It's probably some Cell, and I just need to know its name.

I'm attaching the picture of the shape and the line in question.  Another thing I totally do not understand is why the Height is just 0.0004" while it's obviously not. If I select the whole "page" though, it correctly shows 1.1".

Thanks a lot in advance.
Kirill

Surrogate

kir936

Surrogate

If you resize window Size & Position you can see this shape Name ! In your case it if FC Module

kir936

:-) I know the shape name (I named it myself) I need to know what's the name (in Visio terms) of this blue dashed line on the screenshot. I need to move this line down (to Y=0) but don't know how and can't google it because I don't know the proper term.

Thanks!

Surrogate

It is aligment box, but your shape have 1d behavour i.e. that box height is 0

Croc

This line is your shape.
Shape is the group with the behavior of the line.
And the rest of the picture - is shape that built into the group. His behavior - 2D shape.
Such a line can not be omitted. But it is possible to raise the embedded shape so that its bottom would coincide with the line.

kir936

Great, thank you so much guys!

I understand that 1D behaviour is forced on the shape to prevent uneven scaling when resizing? I always thought that this is achieved by formulae in the shapesheet, but grouping a 1D object with 2D shape looks like a much easier approach.

Surrogate

Та, было б за шо

kir936, do you know that this shape under Copyright© ?

kir936

Absolutely, I'm not going to distribute the result. (attaching it here is de-facto distribution, but it has zero value, so I guess it's ok. It could be considered "quoting" under copyright law, as the purpose of distribution would be to ask the question).

Browser ID: smf (is_webkit)
Templates: 4: index (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 6: init, html_above, body_above, main, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), Post.english (default), Editor.english (default), Drafts.english (default).
Style sheets: 4: index.css, attachments.css, jquery.sceditor.css, responsive.css.
Hooks called: 315 (show)
Files included: 34 - 1306KB. (show)
Memory used: 1206KB.
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 14: 0.00176s for 26,766 bytes (show)
Cache misses: 3: (show)
Queries used: 16.

[Show Queries]