News:

BB code in posts seems to be working again!
I haven't turned on every single tag, so please let me know if there are any that are used/needed but not activated.

Main Menu

How much Sharepoint do I need?

Started by Yacine, August 30, 2015, 10:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yacine

Hi guys,
My employer is now ready to get us SharePoint ... almost.
Whilst it is agreed, that we will get it, we are still in a testing phase, so that only a few people will be allowed to work with it ... and this will last at least one additional year.
My question:
If I apply for a test sharepoint server, will I be able to develop solutions for my whole team, or do they need to get extra software, licenses, etc. as well?
Reformulating the question: What is necessary for my colleagues to USE the solutions I develop?
Yacine

Nikolay

#1
Nothing, as far as I can tell.

SharePoint is basically a web application.
So your colleaugues must have a web browser installed to access it.

Or what do you mean?

That is, I'm not quite sure what kind of solutions you are going to develop.. SharePoint does not support that much Visio-specific functionality (only Visio Services, which is basically showing data-bound diagrams in a web browser). To use Visio Services, your colleagues don't need to install anything, only a web browser (with SP 2013).

Yacine

Quote from: Nikolay on August 30, 2015, 11:40:40 AM
So your colleaugues must have a web browser installed to access it.
Or what do you mean?
That's exactly what I meant.
I don't need to register my users, or get them any licenses.
If I get access to the server to setup every thing as needed, they'll just need the right link?

Quote from: Nikolay on August 30, 2015, 11:40:40 AM
That is, I'm not quite sure what kind of solutions you are going to develop.. SharePoint does not support that much Visio-specific functionality (only Visio Services, which is basically showing data-bound diagrams in a web browser). To use Visio Services, your colleagues don't need to install anything, only a web browser (with SP 2013).
Right, it's not only Visio stuff.
For Visio I intend to make a check-in/check-out service. To block editing, when someone else has already opened the file.
The more inreresting stuff is MS-Access related.
Yacine

Nikolay

Quote from: Yacine on August 30, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
I don't need to register my users, or get them any licenses.
If I get access to the server to setup every thing as needed, they'll just need the right link?

Your users must be registered on the SharePoint site itself (i.e. they must be valid SharePoint users themselves),
and have access to the site where the diagrams are.

Quote
For Visio I intend to make a check-in/check-out service. To block editing, when someone else has already opened the file.

Even better probably - now you can have co-authoring as well. Not block, but work together on the same diagram in real time.
I.e. multiple users can interact on a single diagram.

https://blogs.office.com/2012/08/27/collaborating-in-visio/

Yacine

Yacine

Browser ID: smf (possibly_robot)
Templates: 4: index (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 6: init, html_above, body_above, main, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), Post.english (default), Editor.english (default), Drafts.english (default).
Style sheets: 4: index.css, attachments.css, jquery.sceditor.css, responsive.css.
Hooks called: 224 (show)
Files included: 32 - 1207KB. (show)
Memory used: 1080KB.
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 13: 0.00100s for 26,754 bytes (show)
Cache misses: 3: (show)
Queries used: 17.

[Show Queries]