Adobe Reader Fails to open PDF's published from Viso

Started by Nathan, October 17, 2013, 11:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan

Some time ago I started a post about problems with pdf's published from VISIO.  "Publish as PDF problems VISIO 2007"  I wanted to be more specific, as this problem is not going away.  My problem is that Adobe Reader will not open my PDF's which I publish from VISIO.  I think the problem started with version 9; but I am not sure.  Adobe displays the error: "An error exists on this page.  Acrobat may not display the page correctly.  Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem"  I have no problem opening these PDFs with Foxit Reader for example; but it is a little awkward asking a customer to download this free reader to view a product data sheet or system manual.  I have found that making sure I have no rotated or flipped fill patterns will often help Adobe work; but not always.  Sort of hard to tell people to not use Adobe.  I have attached two PDFs illustrating the problem.  They have the same shapes but in the one that will not open in adobe the shapes are rotated.

Is this a know problem?

Paul Herber

I think there may be a problem with the latest Acrobat reader, I've looked at a good 30 PDFs on the internet today (various microprocessor chips), a good 20% showed this error. Might be time to be patient and wait for a fix to be released.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Paul Herber

Here's an example of a very simple PDF that generates a warning with the latest Acrobat Reader:
http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/73-1900e.pdf
I suspect it's the reader.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

wapperdude

Sorry Paul, but, according to Adobe, I have the latest reader version, 10.1.8 as of this posting, and I can open the pdf file that file example...via Internet Explorer and via a saved file to my desktop. 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

10.1.8.28 here, the document is displayed fine in IE, Opera and Mozilla, except Mozilla displays a warning that it might not be correct.

wapperdude

Hey!

Not sure why you get the ".28" on the rev level.  Doesn't show on mine, and Adobe says I have latest version.  Anyway, it' just Mozilla that causes the error?  What about if you save the file, and open it as a stand-alone?  That should be OK too.  Makes me think it's an Adobe / Mozilla issue.

I guess the next step, if possible, would be to have the original poster provide a Visio generated pdf that fails to see if we can at least confirm the problem.  Not that we can do anything about it.   :-\

I've not done any recent pdf saves.
Visio 2019 Pro

Nathan

I think I provided a couple of attachments above.  Here is another one.  I did notice that Foxit Reader does distort the fill on the rotated drawing.  I have Adobe Reader XI Version 11.0.5 and with this particular drawing I get absolutely nothing on page 2 not even an error

wapperdude

My apologies.  Missed the initial two attachments.  So, I confirmed that 1st attachment didn't open, 2nd and 3rd attachments do open.  Get the page error message with 1st attachment.

You have version 11 of Adobe Reader???

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Nathan

Yes I am using the latest Adobe Reader download from the adobe website.  It is Version 11.0.5.   However, I have been having problems for some time now.  Started with Adobe 9 I think.  The third drawing does in fact have an image on page 2; but Adobe shows a blank page.  Wondering if this has to do with Adobe strictly enforcing their PDF standard

wapperdude

The file is as you say... no viewable image on page 2.

Curious, wonder why the update feature within Adobe reader doesn't know about version 11?  Rhetorical question.
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

for what its worth....I use pdf995 for years.   Only problem I have is that transparency is not done too well....but drawings in general are
always presented well.

Could look at save as png or jpg....put them in a word doc....pdf that bad boy

Nathan

I want to make sure that this problem is not specific to my setup.  The attached is a pdf from a drawing of a rectangle with fill pattern 29 using two colors and then rotated 45 degrees.   The pdf opens in Foxit Reader but the fill pattern is incorrect.  The pdf opens in Adobe with no error but the page is blank  Can someone try doing the same thing and see if they have the same problem?

wapperdude

Confirm that Adobe reader has blank 2nd page.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Second page is blank for me. I understand that various complex fill patterns has always been a problem for Acrobat. I don't think it's a Visio problem per se.

wapperdude

Question for Vojo -- have you tried opening this pdf with pdf995?  Did the 2nd page show the rotated shape or was it blank?

Just curious.

Wapperdude.
Visio 2019 Pro