Shape hyperlinks break when you rename pages

Started by Yariak, November 19, 2008, 05:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yariak

I created an organizational chart and published to the web.  If I publish without renaming any of the pages beforehand and just use the default page names (page-1, page-2, etc...) the hyperlinks (automatically generated to connect managers on one page to their subordinate groups on other pages) work just fine.  If I rename the pages to reflect the groups (for example, rename page-1 to "Executive Committee") and publish to the web, none of the hyperlinks work and I need to go back to the Visio file and insert the hyperlinks manually.

Any fixes?

Paul Herber

Here's a quick idea to try, spaces are not valid within URLs, try ExecutiveCommittee or Executive_Committee.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Yariak

I tried it but it doesn't fix the problem.  Any other ideas?

Paul Herber

Are you renaming the pages *after* you've created the hyperlink?
If so then that's your problem, hyperlinks don't get adjusted to match your new page name.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

Yariak

I use the Organizational Chart Wizard with an Excel file containing the organizational data.  The wizard automatically creates each page based on the organizational data (based on organizational hierarchy).  So if a group reporting to a manager is too big to fit on a single page, the wizard will create additional pages for the subordinate groups.  My chart has 25 pages for about 500 people.

Once the wizard is done running, I end up with a 25 page file with decent looking charts on each page.  If I publish to the web without making any further changes, the manager shapes on one page are linked to pages containing their subordinate groups and vice versa.  Because I can't tell the wizard what to name each page before it runs (as far as I know...) I have to rename the pages afterwards.  This is what is creating the problem.  Once I rename the pages (using spaces or not), the links between manager shapes and pages containing the subordinate groups don't work any more. 

With 25 pages, I need the pages to be named in a way that tells users what groups are on the pages.  The web page has a very nice navigation pane allowing users to choose pages to navigate to.  So instead of "Page-25" I need it to say "Latin America, Sales" or "Latin_America_Sales."
Thanks for your help.

Paul Herber

I think the answer is to rename the pages before you create the web pages.
After generating the pages from the wizard if the pages will always be renamed in the same way then a small bit of VBA in a macro will rename the pages for you. You could create the code manually the first time around using the macro recorder then go into the VBA editor and copy and paste the code to somewhere safe in another document, Notepad will do for this, then next time you generate the pages just reload the VBA put it into a macro and run it to rename the pages. The macro could even be added to a stencil.