The Better Button: 3D Effect with highlight

Started by wapperdude, July 27, 2009, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so, it landed here.   :o  Visio Guy has addressed adding edges to objects to give them depth, Create Better-looking, More-efficient SmartShapes.   ;)  Circular shapes made to look like buttons have always caught my curiousity, see Re: Isometric Shapes With Shading.   :P  So, I decided to use the arc array to see if it's possible to make a really smooth button edge.  I am reasonably happy with the results shown below. 

The basic process involves taking a rectangular shape, giving it a fill pattern #30, eliminate the line edge, then use the arcArray (included with the Visio file) to create a circular band that forms the button edge.  Add a circle to fill in the middle, and another to get the lighting effects.

This button is completely scalable.

Enjoy!
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Stefan

Wapperdude thanks for sharing, this is a great effect, looks like it's floating on the page, you are one smart guy.
Stefan 

wapperdude

They say that Necessity is the Mother of Invention.  If that's true, then, Boredom must be the Father.  I'd like to say that the button thing was carefully thought out and planned, but the truth was I was trying "what if's" without really knowing what to expect.  To quote another phrase:  Better to be lucky than good!   :D
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

Along the same lines as this thread, folks might want to check out:

3D Beveled Button Visio Shape

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010