Know your fonts numbers

Started by Yacine, April 03, 2010, 12:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yacine

I wasn't satisfied with my randomized font patterns. They showed too often, those winding symbols and also cyrillic fonts -whilst beautiful  ;) - I didn't want.
The idea was to randomize over a set of fonts, that *I* can define.

Now how to get a list of fonts without coding? Well, Chris showed us a very nice incrementing methode with his box shape (http://www.visguy.com/2009/11/25/super-smart-visio-divided-box-shape/). You basically set your first shape's number to 0, duplicate it by dragging it downwards while holding the control key, then press "F4" until the Font drop down list doesn't show any more fonts. (In my case, some 250 times).

There could be other applications. I honestly don't know my fonts and usually don't need to. But when you start playing with them, you need to get an overview.

W., I know I got a shot too much of Visio again. Can't help.
I mean, no! Get me out of here!
;D ;D ;D
Yacine

Yacine

Yacine

vojo

Note....you need to run this periodically since the font list moves around.   Ie today 10=arial....tomorrow 10= supercalifragilisticexpialadosous.

Assuming a shape has font defined explicitly....can necessarily lock it in.
Say shape even had font=guard(10).    since 10 can mean different fonts over time....no guarentee its what you want.

Yacine

Hi Vojo,
I'm not sure I got you right.
You are not saying that the font number is completely arbitray. Rather, the numbers change, when I add and remove fonts. Isn't it?

But that's OK. When you play whith patterns, your work ends usually up in bitmaps.

By the way, is there a function to get the font's name, instead of it's number?
Yacine

vojo

actual numbers dont change....the font they reference changes.

For example....today  76=xxx.....tomorrow 76=yyy

This is true for the same file opened today and tomorrow.

The issue is that if you either load a new font in windows or via surfing the web, a new font is added to your system (because of language or whatever), the implied
order of the fonts is changed.   Visio does not track implied order...just the number used......so back to example

76=xxx
surf the web and a font lower in alphabetic order (bbb) is added so that 4 now = bbb vs yesterday =ccc  (ccc=5 now)
76=yyy

ie numbers are constant...font inserted in the order based on alphabet of font name.

vojo

no shapesheet function to get or check font name....probably could do it in VBA

JuneTheSecond

Try =FONTTOID("Arial") in Char.Font cell.
It may be limited to Visio 2010 Beta.
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

Yacine

Thank you guys,
1. I didn't think about the fonts you get from the internet, you're right.
2) FONTTOID works just fine with V.2007. I'll better do some VBA to get my font names, instead of maltreating Excel anymore.
Yacine