Isometric design help

Started by jmchaney, February 19, 2010, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmchaney

Hello,
   Need some assistance with isometric drawing. I have used Visio 2007 Pro for a couple years but never tried to create a isometric drawing. I found a sample drawing over at ratemynetworkdiagram.com that I want to duplicate. I found several isometric server icons to use but I cannot figure out how to create the 3d floors or base the servers sit on. Make sense? I also assume the original designer was using Visio. Furthermore, does anyone know where you can find isometric network templates on the net? I can't seem to find much of anything when searching for isometric templates etc. Thanks in advance for your help!  BTW love this site!

vojo

3D and ISO is pretty complex for Visio

Juno has lots of good iso stencils.
I enhanced a few to add shading and lighting
I typically build up servers and such from these shapes.

Probably better options out there...but could not find them so did all this

jmchaney

Thanks Vojo for the quick response. Do you think the orginial designer used Vsio for this drawing? As for the 3D floors. I'm using the drawing tool and creating one.

wapperdude

The line or pencil tools will work well.  You can also draw a rectangle, then use the pencil tool (+ the shift key) to select a pair of vertices and drag them both to maintain parallel lines....or you could use the fillable 3D cube, see Solid Geometry:  a fillable cube (http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=1421.0).  This has a configurable cube via use of 3 control points that maintain the parallel lines.

The attached file gives you an idea what can be done.  The shadow was a separate shape.  It uses two patterns (probably overkill) with multiple transparency effects.  Open it's shapesheet and scroll to the Fill section.

Attached is a sample, the fills are more flamboyant in order to see the different "faces". 

Something to consider...

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

jmchaney

Thanks Wapperdude! I was in the process of ungrouping existing isometric shapes but your drawing will save me a ton of time! Thanks again! I will also read the topic you posted.

vojo

I would think so...I routinely do drawings much more complex than that for discussions.   I made a bunch of shapes for blades and such using the stuff I made, so would think somebody else probably did the same thing.

Here is an example of IBM BladeCenter S....its took big to attach here as a visio drawing...but it was done in visio