How to fragment 2 shapes with complicated shared edge?

Started by Jennifer, May 21, 2023, 04:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

In my quest to extract puzzle pieces, I can across an interesting problem. I am hoping someone has a solution.

One puzzled has a pair of pieces that share a complicated border.

I traced the bottom (green) piece with the Pen tool. I then traced the top part of the top piece and tried to attach it to the bottom piece. But if I select them both and fragment, the top piece disappears.

Is there a way that I can get 2 pieces without having to trace that shared edge twice?

Thanks
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

vojo

I believe this is what you want to do.

- pick a shape (square or circle or or or)
- a line you want
- overlay line on shape
- developer==> operations==> fragment
- if you want to do this twice, copy line and place both over the shape (will need to recolor afterward)

wapperdude

How did you combine them? 
I did simple test case.  Drew two shape, similar to what you have.  Selected both.  Did join.  Select both.  Do fragment.  And that was it.  Two puzzle pieces.

Oh.  Make sure that your 2nd curves endpoints snap to 1st shape geometry.  If not, then this fails.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on May 21, 2023, 07:48:04 PM
Oh.  Make sure that your 2nd curves endpoints snap to 1st shape geometry.  If not, then this fails.

That's the solution. I thought I was careful to "attach" the end points to the other shape, but I now realize that I had Snap and Glue turned off so I could have finer control over the Pencil tool. I turned them back on, made the connections, and it works.

Thank you.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10