Creating an Add-on

Started by rodsoares101, March 19, 2009, 01:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodsoares101

I would like to create a access database and link it to a visio drawing, but it must do two thing:
1) Relate the shape IDcode to the database IDcode so when I change anything in the drawing the database updates automatically.
2) Add an event to run a access form as an add-on. (e.g. a form that show an activity description).

I got nothing so any help can make a difference.
Anyone?
Thanks.
Rod.

Visio Guy

Hi Rod,

Have you tried the Database Wizard yet? Look under Tools > Add-ons > Visio Extras.

The Database Wizard has some two-way capabilities and might do what you need without having to code anything.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

rodsoares101

Ok, that takes care of the first question, but how do I make the access form interact with the drawing?
Tks.

aledlund

as an observation from the side,
Access does not support triggers (i.e. events based upon records being changed), you need something like SQL Server for that.
Access Forms are not synonomous with Windows Forms, they are an internal construct to Access. They can be called from Access macros...
So your challange would be to write a macro in Visio that performs the database refresh and then calls the macro in Access...
al

rodsoares101

Can you give me an example of a macro (including the codes) of how to run an access macro from the visio drawing?. I already have the access macro, just need a way to make it run from the drawing.

Visio Guy

Hey Rod,

Have you called Access macros from other apps, like, say Word or Excel? I think if you showed us how that is done in the first place, we could guide you with the Visio-specific bits.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

rodsoares101

I'm new to this programming world, so I'm not too familiar with macros, specially one macro that calls up another. All I want to do is create a mask, like a window that not only shows the data of a shape linked to an access table but allows changing on both, I know it can be done because I have one drawing with this functionality (it contains a visio drawing, a "special" stencil, an access database and a DLL file). I made a form on access to do exactly that and I wanted to use it on a visio drawing... but now I don't think it can be done this way. Any suggestions?

mmulvenna

The database wizard allows 2-way communication. Refer to the attached word file for  a screen print
I have linked multiple access fields to cutom properties in sheet5.

when you right click on  sheet5 notice 2 additional functions.

"Refresh shape properties"
"Update Data base record"

You can also set the time period that visio will automatically update from the DB

Good luck
Mike

rodsoares101

Great tip Mike. This integration takes a visio flowchart to a whole different level and the best part there is no codes. I think this topic deserves an article Visio Guy.