Fix Shape A to Shape B??

Started by meppinger, September 09, 2011, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meppinger

Shape A is a 2-D box with text in it. Shape B is a 1-D connector. I want to fix Shape A to Shape B so that when I move/extend Shape B, Shape A will move to stay "fixed" to the designated point on Shape B.

I don't think I want to group them because I don't want Shape A's demension to change when I extend Shape B. I've fooled around with Connector Points for awhile but can't get them to fix to eachother.

Any ideas?? I think this should be doable since any modeling package allows for things to be fixed to eachother.

meppinger

I know that if I have "Glue to Guide" selected I can have Shape A glued to a guide. And if I move the guide, Shape A will follow it to remained glued to the designated point.

I thought I could then do something like "Glue to Connection Points" and place a connection point on Shape B. However I can't get Shape A to glue to that connection point.

Chance0066

Are you familiar with the Inwards and Outward settings on connection points and what they do? Inwards connection points will accept a outwards connection point, but they will not work the other way around.

For example, if you put a inwards connection point on Shape A, it will accept a connection, but if you drag Shape A over to a connection point it will not connect. It may be easiest to use the Inwards & Outwards setting which will allow that connection point to do either. You can change this setting on a connection point by have the connector tool selected and right clicking on the connection point.

meppinger

I changed the connection points to Inward/Outward like you suggested. Looks like it works exactly how I wanted. Thank you!