Removing white background

Started by duffsparky, October 16, 2010, 09:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffsparky

Hi All from a newbie,

I have a drawing that is black lines on white background. The original the drawing is a pdf file, and after convertion I have ended up with a vsd copy.

When I open the vsd copy in Visio 2007 and select the image, I can drag it but unusually only the black lines move and the white background stays where it is, that is until I let go of the mouse button, then the background moves to the position of the black lines.

I would like to keep a copy of the images black lines with no background so I can turn it into a shape, but I can not fine a way of saving the black line image only.

Can any one help.

wapperdude

Try saving as a png file.  During the process, you can select a transparency color.  Just choose white.  But, this will be an image file, not a Visio file.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

I wonder how you converted the pdf into vsd. If the background follows the line with delay, then the data are probably vectors.
Can you ungroup your object? You could then remove the background.
Yacine

duffsparky

Hi Wapperdude,
I tried saving it as a png file without success, however, I tried again and it worked so thanks.

Hi Yacine,
I'm not sure how I got to the vsd copy, I tried several ways including pdf to tiff, jpg, png and MS Word all without success, however, what ever I did saving the vsc copy as png enables me to separate the background and save the black line image only. The vsd image appears to be ungrouped and single layer.