create automated stencil in visio

Started by flow3rgirlz, December 05, 2008, 05:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

I'm not aware of any, but I'm not the last word on this either.  Do you have a lot of shapes (symbols) to make?  It might be easier/faster to make these by hand.  Saving to a stencil to form a master copy can be as simple as dragging the shape to a new stencil and eventually saving the stencil.  For compatibility sake, you could use existing shapes that MS provides as a template to get proper shape size / lead spacing.  Alternatively, Paul Herber has an extensive set of symbols for purchase at http://www.sandrila.co.uk/.  These might meet your needs. 

Unfortunately, the code you shared is pretty skimpy; basically, it just gives names and functional type.  There's not enough to create a symbol.  You might back into this by reverse engineering an existing symbol to use as the basis for developing an automation program.  The symbol will provide you with all of the dimensions.  Then, you need to incorporate information from your company code to establish the number of inputs and outputs as variables that drive your automation program.  Strikes me as a lot of work.   :P :o  But, if your still reading, here's a link to Visio automation:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa245244(office.10).aspx.  Take a look at Chapter 18. 

Perhaps some of the other regulars can provide some additional/better guidance.  Personally, I'd make these manually, but then, I'm not a big automation type.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

flow3rgirlz

What u said is true. It's really easy to draw it by hand. But i have hundreds of shapes to make. Doing by hand gonna take ages. Plus, the diagram might change in the future. That's the reason why they ask me to do it automatically.

I've receive lots of idea on how to make it. But my big problem is how to code it. It will be great if anyone could share a sample code so i can proceed the idea on the coding phase.