Grouped Shapes WILL NOT GLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Scott10284, May 22, 2024, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott10284

I recently created a rather large smart shape, which is an assembly of grouped shaped with many features.

The overall shape has 1 connection point that I intended to glue to other connection points, but it is not working.

Further investigation suggests that visio stops gluing shapes together via connection points if your shape is over a certain number of grouped objects. My tests shows that when more than 48 objects are grouped together. visio will no longer allow you to glue that shape via connection points.

Can anyone confirm this and is there a way around it?

wapperdude

I don't recall what the limit is, but I did a grouping that had 50+ shapes.  I was able to add a connection point, and glue a connector to it and glue a 2nd connector without a connection point with Glue to shape enabled.

Need more info.
1) are you gluing connector to this shape?
2) are trying to glue it and another 2D shape.
3) are there 1D shapes (lines / connectors) between the children shapes that aren't part of your 48 count value?
4) how is the group formed?  That is, how is the top level shape defined?  There must be a tangible shape for the connection point.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Ah. Could also glue using walking glue, and glue a 2D shape to the grouped shape.  What did not work was gluing the group shape to a 2D shape.
Visio 2019 Pro