How can I move the IPOs with VBA in Visio....

Started by WieSo_Zeigen, October 31, 2022, 01:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WieSo_Zeigen

Hello, everyone,
For a few months I have been writing a VBA solution that graphically displays process flows according to the Gane-Sarson Data Flow Diagram.
In my scenario, data is stored in a table with the dependencies, according to the IPO principle, to the respective objects.

So far, the objects are completely drawn on Visio in the first step:
See image1

A reference is given as a short name for the objects, table and/or view.
Green = table
Purple= View

After all objects with the respective dependencies have been drawn, the references are connected with a dashed line. The arrow at the end of the line symbolizes the direction of the process.
See image2

Up to here everything is no problem and works great.
Then I have to move the IPOs manually.

And that's what I don't want anymore. In the case of complex IPOs, this can take a little longer.

How can I move the IPOs with VBA in Visio so that the result looks like in the picture?See last.png

Surrogate

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

WieSo_Zeigen

Oh sorry
IPO is : Input-Process-Output, in German : Eingabe-Verarbeitung-Ausgabe (EVA), show EVA-Prinzip

wapperdude

IMO, this is a very difficult task.  It is something done by auto-routers.  There would have to be all kinds of conditions and preferences defined and coded.  Basically, you have to create code that "sees" the diagram visually as we do, and then moves the pieces and routing to get optimal placements with the least amount of entangled spaghetti.  It can be done, but neither quickly nor easily.
Visio 2019 Pro

WieSo_Zeigen

Hmm, it's a shame it's so difficult.

But thank you very much for your answers.

VG Frank