New release of the amazing SvgPublish Visio web publishing solution!

Started by Visisthebest, October 29, 2022, 09:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

Nikolay made a post about the minecraft example, but his amazing SvgPublish Visio web publishing solution also deserves attention separately for the new update he released:

https://unmanagedvisio.com/svgpublish-1-4-0-released-content-templates/

For publishing Visio diagrams to websites and intranets/extranets, Nikolay's SvgPublish offers so many more useful web publishing options than the default Visio functionality, SvgPublish is a major enhancement of Visio and an indispensable part of the Visio ecosystem! Just like Paul's Super Utilities and Tools and David's LayerManager.

Not enough Visio users know about these great tools by the way, more promotion is needed in my opinion.
Visio 2021 Professional

Nikolay

Thank you for the kind words.
Yes, the promotion could be always good ;D

Some next things I'm thinking of adding :)

- SharePoint web part to wrap the SvgPublish. This would lift the current "custom script"/ "design" permission requirement.
Beside security, also the idea is to bring most settings in an online webpart that one can change not in visio, but already on the published diagram.
Maybe a Teams app also, and some other plugins that can be easily done, like JIRA/Confluence (others do that, so there is probably a market)
Also, this would increase visibility through the marketplace/store.

- Public hosting offering.
So that the diagram can be pushed using "single-click" from Visio to some side like svgpublish.com and hosted from there, probably for some subscription fee.

- A wordpress plugin.
A simple plugin for wordpress that would allow sharing an interactive diagram.
A list of "diagrams" that can be embedded in a page using a shortcode.
Or as a widget for the despicable new wordpress block editor.

- Export of a web component out of a diagram (for developers)
A web component is a "building block" that can be easily used by any page/frontend framework without friction.
Would allow embedding simple interactive diagrams into web pages as "blocks" with "events".
The output is a single javascript file.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Web_Components

- Single page export (somewhat similar to web component)
Have everything wrapped into a single file (either SVG or HTML), including scripts.

- Supporting Visio Online plan 1 that is now available for most Microsoft Office users out of the box
(pulling data from there with some online service, converting to svg online, using either some open-source or paid library)
I've discovered the mxgraph converter for Visio files is not that bad after all.

- Non-Visio platform support. Like diagram.io (mxgraph)
The idea is to enable online-only experience with no need to install Visio.

- PWA (offline) support.
So that you can draw a diagram and have it as a stand-alone application on your mobile device (like, making an APP out of a diagram)
Think building an installable app for a tablet out of a diagram with a couple of clicks.

- Get rid of jQuery and improve the dated UI a bit

For now, the missing piece is finding someone who's gonna pay my bills while I'm building cool stuff ;D ;D ;D
BTW if someone wants to be that guy, it is now possible to sponsor me on GitHub ;D ;D ;D

Visisthebest

Great ideas Nikolay to highlight one idea, WordPress is so extremely popular there's probably some use cases that would be valuable here as well!

- A wordpress plugin.
A simple plugin for wordpress that would allow sharing an interactive diagram.
A list of "diagrams" that can be embedded in a page using a shortcode.
Or as a widget for the despicable new wordpress block editor.

Finding the time and making stuff is a challenge always next to your regular job, I think if more companies know about your Visio add-in it would get you more sales!
Visio 2021 Professional