3 General questions

Started by awa123, October 16, 2022, 10:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awa123

Hello everyone,

I have spent lot of time on visio, drawing some graphs these last weeks

I got 3 general questions please (but very important for me) :

1) Is it possible to select automatically all identical objects, for example if i select one specific shape of an arrow and i want to have a function which will select all other identical shape ? or maybe make a research on specific object in order to we got automatically the all selection (cf attached)

2) when i got a selection of multiple shape, is it possible to have the sum of the objects selected ?

3) In the Design Tab we can have nice marriages of color model for objects.
I would like to bring some objects related to another theme (because i like the color applied) on my main page (with a different theme).
The pb is : if i do this the color applied on the object coming from another page will change... How can i do in order to copy/paste object from one page to another one by keeping their color model ?

thanks a lot guys !

wapperdude

WRT...
1). For selecting, no.  You could put all identical shapes on a common layer.  Then, with code, select all members of that code.  Or, via shapesheet, via, say, the User Defined section, create an identifier, and then using code, select all shapes with a common identifier.

2).  Don't understand what you mean by "sum"

3) Not at my computer, but, for the selected shape you want to copy, you ought to be able to protect these features via the protection menu.  Or, you can open shapesheet, and use the guard function to prevent changes to Fill and Line section cells.
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

awa123

Hello Paul & wapperdude

thanks for your help

With regard to
1)ok so i will give up, i was searching for an easy way to do it

2) yes, as Paul said, the number of items, for example if i select the 4 items (or shape or arrow, depend how you call it) we can see in the attached picture i got in my first message, i would like to find a way to know the number of items, in this example is 4

3) ok good to know it's possible, i will try to figure out how we can do it then with it. I just did a quick try by ticking all the protection boxes (cf attached) but unfortunately when i copied pasted the color change

awa123

hello everyone,

With regard to :

2) i am still searching a way to have the number of selected items... is anyone can help please ?

3) I tried to use the protection menu + the GUARD function (cf attached) but i still have the pb...

thanks for your help

Surrogate

Quote from: awa123 on October 16, 2022, 10:52:54 AM
1) Is it possible to select automatically all identical objects, for example if i select one specific shape of an arrow and i want to have a function which will select all other identical shape ?
You can create layer for each type of master shape. And you can select shape via Select by Type tool.
Quote from: awa123 on October 16, 2022, 10:52:54 AMor maybe make a research on specific object in order to we got automatically the all selection
You can define how many object per page via Layer Properties window.

Surrogate

For count shapes you can use Legend Shapes.
For modify Legend shape use this trick...

awa123

Thank you very much Surrogate, you're a master !

I still have my 3rd question regarding the Theme in visio.
I think it's an important question cause using the default themes from visio is super convenient. That prevent you spending too much time to select a specific nice colors.

If someone knows how can we do, please help

Surrogate

Quote from: awa123 on October 19, 2022, 10:33:47 AM3) I tried to use the protection menu + the GUARD function (cf attached) but i still have the pb..
GUARD function cant protect these changes.

I spent a lot of time struggling with the influence of themes !
But I tried to protect myself from them at all, so that they would not be applied to my figures...

Probably the easiest way is to find out what theme is in the source document. you need to set the same one in the document where you want to insert your fragment of the scheme

awa123

thanks for your feedback Surrogate

at least i don't feel lonely :) i am not the only one who tried to play with the Theme

i should maybe ask that question to Microsoft Team if we can, cause i can't believe we cannot do that... That seems so convenient to do it

let's see

Surrogate

awa123

lol i don't know if it's possible, will search if we can haha

Surrogate

You can try add suggest via MS Feedback portal.

And they may be sometime add this opportunity to next version (202x or 203y).  ;D

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on October 19, 2022, 03:40:09 PM
Probably the easiest way is to find out what theme is in the source document. you need to set the same one in the document where you want to insert your fragment of the scheme
Please download this stencil.

• Drop a master-shape named FixThemes on the reference document page.
  • Right-click and choose Get Theme number from the top context menu
  • Copy this shape instance to the clipboard
  • Paste it into your target document
  • Right-click and select the second (top) Set Theme number context menu item

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on October 19, 2022, 03:40:09 PMI spent a lot of time struggling with the influence of themes !

My article originally posted in Russian language (you can read it via Google Translator Service)