Excel file is downloading by Chrome from exported/saved HTML file

Started by bobotheclown, September 07, 2022, 09:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobotheclown

Howdy all

I've inherited a Visio based system that has been saved as HTML & used as a series of linked web pages; while I've been in IT for years never used Visio worth a damn.

One of the pages in this system has a link to a Excel spreadsheet (actually a macro spreadsheet with an XLSM extn).  When this link is clicked within the browser (Chrome) it downloads the file which then has to be opened as a local file, this is not the action we need.  We require all users to open a common file from a share, the file must not be downloaded & actioned locally.

Looking at the webpage I see the verb being used is file://.  The relevant part of the data.xml file that underlies this page follows:

<SolutionXML>
                        <HLURL:Hyperlinks xmlns:HLURL="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:visio:dghlinkext">
                           <HLURL:Hyperlink ID="1">
                              <HLURL:Description>File Description</HLURL:Description>
                              <HLURL:Address>S:\<filename>.xlsm</HLURL:Address>
                              <HLURL:SubAddress></HLURL:SubAddress>
                              <HLURL:ExtraInfo></HLURL:ExtraInfo>
                              <HLURL:Default>0</HLURL:Default>
                              <HLURL:NewWindow>0</HLURL:NewWindow>
                              <HLURL:AbsoluteURL>S:\<filename>.xlsm</HLURL:AbsoluteURL>
                           </HLURL:Hyperlink>
                        </HLURL:Hyperlinks>
</SolutionXML>

I've read around a bit about a few different ways of achieving what I need if I was coding this by hand but as this system needs to be maintained in Visio I'm looking for a way to do this natively in Visio; statically embedding the file is not an option.

So anyone got a suggestion/recommendation/witchcraft that will allow me to do what I need  :)?

TIA