Allocating more PC power to Visio Pro Desktop

Started by knightvision, August 03, 2022, 11:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightvision

Hi All, new here so apologies if this topic has been covered before, I did briefly check  :)

I'm finding that large visio drawings seem to crap out the app temporarily. Same symptoms as when PC hits 100% on RAM/Processor usage. However, I'm barely tickling 45% when this happens. It seems like Visio has a limit where it will not request more power from the PC, rather than using all available to get the task done?!

So, my question is, if this is actually what's going on, is it possible to tell it to use more available power?

I have done a few things like change priority in task manager, but the difference is negligible.

Visio is obviously a legitimate copy and up-to-date.

Any help is much appreciated as it would speed up my work flow!

Yacine

Haven't thought to approach the performance problem from this side.

What I usually do, is trying to optimize the drawing itself.

- clean not used masters
- get rid of too many calculations and macro calls
- in special cases, joining is an option (http://www.visguy.com/2015/07/10/unioning-shapes-and-cleaning-them-up/)
- make shapes linked to masters

Yacine

wapperdude

Generally, Visio is reasonably efficient.  I've not encountered 45% and higher CPU usage.  I believe Vizisthebest may have done large drawings and might better address this.  I agree with Yacine, keep the drawing as clean as possible.  I'm not aware of any limitation within Visio.  This is more typically an OS decision determined by motherboard/CPU config (single/multi-core).  Some apps (not sure about Visio) do not take full advantage of multi-core CPU processing. 

Has this issue been gradually getting worse or was it abrupt development?  If abrupt, suggests possible corruption or a macro that has gone into endless loop...caused, perhaps a shape changed or deleted, etc.

Some questions that might help us suggest where to look:
PC:
CPU?
RAM?
Video card?
Win version?
Is Visio the only actively running app?

Visio:
Version?
How big a drawing...file size, number pages ...
Do you import shapes?  Say from CAD drawings?
Do you make custom shapes?
Do you run code (macros?)
Does code use/monitor events?

Visio 2019 Pro

knightvision

Thanks for the pointers. I figured it might be more of a windows thing. 

vojo

I found grow the OS page cache substantially (2G to 8G) also resolves the problem with EMF optimization bug.