gluing lines at connection points

Started by hidden layer, July 12, 2022, 11:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hidden layer

Hello,
Remark: because I'm using German Visio (2016 professional) maybe some terms are not the correct ones - sorry for that.

I have some shapes copied from a drawing and put some connection points at it. In Visio 2010 I could transform them to lines and texts but in 2016 they are just shapes.

I'm facing a problem by connecting two of these shapes with lines. My experience with 2010 pro was that once connected the lines keep connected when a shape is moved.
Now (with 2016 pro) straight lines keep connected but lines in a zig-zag-shape doesn't.

While hovering over the starting connection point the comment shows up 'glue to connection point'; hovering over the 2nd connection point the comment shows up 'align to connection point'.

ok, the connectors doesn't face this problem and looks the same but I'm unable to make the connectors going the shortest way but it goes strange ways: I want them to go in one direction only (e.g. downwards) but they goes left or right. I can manually force them to stay in the wanted way but after moving the shapes they goes like they want. That's why I used lines instead.

Is it possible to glue lines at two shapes or not?

Is it possible to force connection lines (or connectors?) in one direction only?

What is the difference between 2010 and 2016 handling these drawings I paste into Visio?
The origin is some schematic made by E3-series.

Is it possible to have Visio 2010 and 2016 in parallel at the same PC?

Thanks for all hints, guides or workarounds.

Peter

Surrogate

Quote from: hidden layer on July 12, 2022, 11:30:05 AM
Is it possible to have Visio 2010 and 2016 in parallel at the same PC?
Hi, Peter !

6 years ago I needed to have 2 versions of 2010 and 2016 on my computer. the company had licenses for both versions with the MSI installer. The administrators said that this was not possible. They made me a virtual machine with the 2016 version.
I do not know about MSI/Click-to-run compatibility.

hidden layer

Quote from: Surrogate on July 12, 2022, 12:55:09 PM
MSI/Click-to-run compatibility.

What do you mean precisely?

Before installation of Office 2016- I was forced to uninstall 2010.

cheers
Peter

Surrogate

Quote from: hidden layer on July 12, 2022, 01:07:36 PM
Before installation of Office 2016- I was forced to uninstall 2010.
IMHO in this case only a virtual machine

hidden layer

ok - e.g - not ok.

I'll wait for answers to other questions.
Either going back to 2010 or installing on another PC. What a mess...

For Excel 2016 are lots of functionalities that are benefits to 2010 but for Visio I cannot see some improvements - I use it for some weeks only. Just the vsdx-files that are common inbetween.

Thanks
Peter

Surrogate

Peter, you can downgrade only Visio. And still use Office 2016.

wapperdude

Yes, you can glue a line between two shapes.  This is normal behavior for all versions of Visio.  You may have to set gluing permissions, though.

Go to the View tab on the ribbon, and click Visual Aids.  Make sure that Gluing is enabled for connection points.  You can also enable gluing to geometry which avoids needing connection points.  Then you can either draw a line and drag it such one end glues, and then stretch the line such that it glues to next shape, or, if the line is exact length, drag it and both end glue at same time, or, finally, use the line tool (or pencil) and draw line from one connection point to the other. 
Visio 2019 Pro

hidden layer

Hi wapperdude,
following these rules doesn't change anything. To illustrate this - see attachment. Maybe some misunderstanding?

I found out that at company's PC I have Plan 2 (instead of 2016 that was advertised).

At my PC I have Visio 2016 MSO (16.0-4255.1001) 64 Bit.

cheers

wapperdude

Thanks for the file upload.  I was able to confirm the problem.  I do not see any way to make a line with bends to glue both ends.  In fact, if you pre-draw the line and then try to glue the ends, neither end seems to glue.  So, it doe look like M$ broke this.

There is a work-around.  First, draw a straight line such that both ends are glued.  Then, switch to the pencil tool.  With the line selected, hover mouse, then hold <cntl> down and left click mouse  over the line at some point  This insert a deflection point which you can then drag to some location desired.  This will add a corner.  Both line ends remain glued.

HTH.
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

would not the following work

1)  manually add connection points (in essence, June family of lines)
- take a line, any sort of line.
- explicitly add connection points at the ends
- now connect the connection  points to to some other shape or line with connection points

2) not for the novice
- take a line any line.
- in the geometry section row that ends the line  use LoctoLoc function to make that line end locate in another shape.
  the loctoloc will hold the line against where that other shape regardless of where this line moves to

hidden layer

Good morning and thanks for the hints!

The pencil thing really works but I have to say something more about my target. In my company (for whatsoever reasons) schematics will not be drawn that anyone can see a function. Some say 'to confuse the Russian'. So I redraw these schematics partially to make a function or dependency visible in order to let others understand.
That requires a constantly moving of the schematic's elements until the visibility of a function is clear. These schematics are sometimes very complex.
Usind the schematic's snippets (which I can't transform to lines and texts with Visio 2016 at all - another thing)- I thought I can shortcut (!) something.

Back to the pencil- thing - if there's a zig-zag-line - it's true the line stay glued but looks funny after moving something. But thanks!

Hi vojo,
the 1st hint is similar to wapperdude's workaround , the 2nd is a bit strange I learned here.
Interesting function but ... let's say: not now.

I'll use my old tool (even if I don't use the whole functionality) instead. The connection points in this tool I made that they'll go outwards only (as opposite to go right or left).
Ok, I have to redraw its connection lines anyway but it's faster than try to understand LocToLoc completely. ;)

But thanks for this hint as well!

cheers!

Yacine

Hi Peter,
your problem is that you tried to glue a 2D shape to 2 points. This can't work (and shouldn't).

I commented your drawing and added some examples on how you can do it right.
Yacine

hidden layer

Hi Yacine, you're right.

i'm not going to be an expat with Visio ;) but I try to get better day by day.
see attachment.

Yacine

Your connectors do exactly what they are expected to.

In your circle case, make sure to define the dirx and diry.

For the connectors going to the switches make sure to snap to connection points.

(mühsam ernährt sich das eichhörnchen  ;) )
Yacine

hidden layer

Hi Yacine.
I'm back from holiday and started to find symbols shown at your 'Unbenannt2' pic.
I didn't found it. In German it should be called Verbinder? Which menu?
(as this forum seems to be the only one that can regarded seriously - maybe I shall switch the program's language to English... I'll think about that)

The thing with the dirx/diry I found out how this works. Thanksalot!

But if I change Type/C to outward I'm not able to place a connection line to the symbol at all. I expected the 'logic' behind 'inward' and 'outward' (0;1) exactly the other way round. That's funny, isn't it?

"kaum macht man alles richtig - schon funktioniert's