shape moves by itself

Started by perry59, June 08, 2022, 06:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry59

this is related to another question I posted about splitting connectors.
now getting strange behavior, when I drag a shape onto a connector (shape has connection points on it) rather than splitting the connector where I drop the shape the shape jumps to the end of the connector and attaches there! the connector property is set to "connector can be split by shapes" and the shape being dropped on it has the property of "shape can split connectors". So I'm stumped. Anyone know what the hell is going on???
Thanks
what, me worry?

Surrogate

Quote from: perry59 on June 08, 2022, 06:42:16 PMAnyone know what the hell is going on???
Is the connector you want to divide the size comparable to the shape being drop at it?

perry59

I'm not sure I understand the question,
But, this worked fine until today, I'm not sure what could have changed.
what, me worry?

Surrogate

Quote from: perry59 on June 08, 2022, 07:18:49 PM
My English is poor ! I mean size of connector slightly larger than the shape with connection points...

wapperdude

I think Surrogate is indicating that if the size of the connector is ~ same as shape, then snapping might be taking precedence over splitting.  Another possibility might be if there's no room for the shape where your trying to add it.  Some other factors to consider: 
  >. Min. Shape to shape spacing
  >. If new shape is allowed to move previously placed shapes
  >  somehow snap settings have been altered
  >. perhaps some protection setting that locks behavior
  >. Highly unlikely, quantum entanglement.  Yep.  I'm at the end of suggestions
Visio 2019 Pro

perry59

Quote from: Surrogate on June 08, 2022, 07:58:22 PM
Quote from: perry59 on June 08, 2022, 07:18:49 PM
My English is poor ! I mean size of connector slightly larger than the shape with connection points...

Oh, yes! the connector is several inches long and the shape being dropped on it is only about 0.1" long
what, me worry?

perry59

Quote from: wapperdude on June 08, 2022, 08:25:34 PM
I think Surrogate is indicating that if the size of the connector is ~ same as shape, then snapping might be taking precedence over splitting.  Another possibility might be if there's no room for the shape where your trying to add it.  Some other factors to consider: 
  >. Min. Shape to shape spacing
  >. If new shape is allowed to move previously placed shapes
  >  somehow snap settings have been altered
  >. perhaps some protection setting that locks behavior
  >. Highly unlikely, quantum entanglement.  Yep.  I'm at the end of suggestions
must be quantum entanglement, I don't see any changes in my snap settings

what, me worry?

perry59

Ok, I guess I'm an idiot.
The connector splitting works just fine if both ends of the connector are glued to other shapes, if one or both ends are not glued to something then the shape that is dropped on it with the intention of splitting just jumps to one of the unglued ends. :o
what, me worry?

wapperdude

...and then there's that!!!   ;) ;D ;D ;D
Visio 2019 Pro

perry59

Quote from: wapperdude on June 08, 2022, 10:22:01 PM
...and then there's that!!!   ;) ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have the Homer palm slap emoji here
what, me worry?