Shape and group protection

Started by smoore33, May 22, 2022, 12:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoore33

I'd like to know the easiest way to:
1) Create objects/shapes and group them (I think I've got this);
2) Protect all the objects (shapes) in the group and the group itself so that the objects inside the group can't be modified individually; but
3) Still be able to move, rotate, and add dimensions to the group, as a whole.

I've been using Visio infrequently for decades and it remains challenging for me (even though networking and most other things IT I get quite well).
Thanks.

PS. I'm using Visio 2003

Yacine

What is the purpose of the exercise?

On one hand you can put some protection to subshapes. On the other hand there is no protection you cannot break.

What is not enough in having the subshapes in the group?
Yacine

smoore33

My purpose is to avoid accidentally selecting and moving subshapes and to be able to make selecting and moving grouped items as a whole less error-prone.

Paul Herber

ribbon Developer -> Behavior
in the bottom right of the dialog box Selection : Group Only
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

smoore33

Thanks, but do you happen to remember if 2003 has that feature and where it is?

Surrogate

Quote from: smoore33 on May 22, 2022, 09:51:24 PM
Thanks, but do you happen to remember if 2003 has that feature and where it is?

wapperdude

@Surrogate:  Wow!  You have an active V2003!?!.  I thought that Vojo would have been the 1st responder to this question. 
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Paul Herber

I'd forgotten that those items were on the Format menu. I had to decommission my computer with V2003, it was running Windows XP and was just so old. I still have the disc though, just in case ...
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

in developer menu...its still there in 365 plan 2