How do data graphics update on new data without Visio desktop open?

Started by Visisthebest, April 29, 2022, 09:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

I was surprised to learn:

"The newer methodology of linking Visio shapes to data can also be used to refresh Visio diagrams automatically, even if the Visio document is not opened in the desktop edition. The Visio documents merely need to be stored in OneDrive, SharePoint (or Teams). This makes it suitable for solution development without assuming that every consumer has a desktop license. Indeed, the Visio Data Visualizer utilizes these newer external data recordsets embedded within the Visio document."

https://bvisual.net/2022/04/18/update-any-visio-shapesheet-cell-with-external-data/

how does this actually work, I need to understand this better to know the limits of updating Visio diagrams that are in OneDrive or Sharepoint for instance. I assume the Visio web viewer then shows the updated diagram.
Visio 2021 Professional

Yacine

Can't really comment on this.
I don't use any sharepoint nor cloud system and all for all my tagging operations I prefer to rely on my own code (VBA) instead of data techniques. Sorry.
Yacine

Surrogate

Quote from: Yacine on April 29, 2022, 12:49:33 PM
I don't use any sharepoint nor cloud system and all for all my tagging operations I prefer to rely on my own code (VBA)
I have the same usage scenario, I use "data techniques" very rarely.
It seems to me that these sharepoint nor cloud system are used in big corporations or companies.

wapperdude

Ditto here.  I don't do that either.  Actually, auto updating sounds good / very bad.  Nice to have most up-to-date doc, but not at the expense of lost control of the document.  Think of those uncontrollable Windows updates.  Resistance is futile...
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

The problem with Sharepoint is that you need to be running Windows Server. (AFAIK)
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Visisthebest

It could be useful, and I assume this 'auto-updating' behavior can be turned off. Probably David Parker, the author of this article, has more insight in to this. Is he ever on this forum?
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on April 30, 2022, 08:45:56 AM
Probably David Parker, the author of this article, has more insight in to this. Is he ever on this forum?
Perhaps his account there is bVisual? Last visit: Jun'23 2019
I am sure that David's account at MS Answer forum: bVisual and at Stackoverflow he known as David Parker

Visisthebest

Super thank you I will contact him that way, preferrably he responds here (or I will share is answer) so VisGuy Forum is the central database for all things Visio!
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Visisthebest

Visio 2021 Professional