Right triangle shape rotates oddly

Started by Jennifer, April 18, 2022, 04:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I was just trying to make a little diagram of a corner bench when I noticed that the right triangle shape does not rotate correctly. When rotated 45 degrees, the diagonal line is not horizontal. ?????

Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

RudySchneider

There are right triangles, and then there are "right" triangles!  Yours has different width and height dimensions, so while one angle is 90 degrees, the other two are NOT 45 degrees!
More specifically, one is 43.77 degrees, while the other is 46.23 degrees.

There are no problems, only opportunities

Jennifer

Quote from: RudySchneider on April 18, 2022, 06:54:43 PM
There are right triangles, and then there are "right" triangles!  Yours has different width and height dimensions, so while one angle is 90 degrees, the other two are NOT 45 degrees!
More specifically, one is 43.77 degrees, while the other is 46.23 degrees.

Well, damn! I didn't notice that. It's a right triangle shape, so I never even thought that it might not be "right'. 🤔🤨😮

I dragged it onto the page from the right triangle shape:

I think what might have happened is that I accidentally dragged the yellow guide:

That's new with this version of Visio, so I am not used to it yet.

Thanks

RudySchneider

Well, to be clear, a right triangle only means that one of the vertices is a 90-degree angle.  The angle of the other two vertices can be any combination that adds to 90.

Jennifer

Quote from: RudySchneider on April 18, 2022, 08:16:15 PM
Well, to be clear, a right triangle only means that one of the vertices is a 90-degree angle.  The angle of the other two vertices can be any combination that adds to 90.

Yes, I understand. But the sides around the 90° angle should align with the vertical and horizontal guides when rotated multiples of 90°.

I'm pretty sure the problem was that I accidentally nudged the yellow guide dot (don't know it's name) so that the angle was no longer 90°, as in the second example here:

The top one is uncorrupted and it aligns.

RudySchneider

Yes, that's all well and good, but your original post indicated you were in a quandary about a 45-degree rotation.  For an edge of a right triangle to line up with either a vertical or horizontal grid line after a 45-degree rotation, both legs that form the right angle (90 degrees) must be the same length.   

Jennifer

Quote from: RudySchneider on April 18, 2022, 08:47:56 PM
Yes, that's all well and good, but your original post indicated you were in a quandary about a 45-degree rotation.  For an edge of a right triangle to line up with either a vertical or horizontal grid line after a 45-degree rotation, both legs that form the right angle (90 degrees) must be the same length.

(sigh)

OK, I was careless about the rotation angle, switching from 45° to 90°. My (sincere) apologies. The salient point is that the problem is not with the rotation angle or the relative lengths of the sides. It is about it no longer being a right triangle due to accidental movement of the yellow guide.

Is this illustration better?

You can have the last word.

Yacine

Even easier, if you set the center of the shape (PinPos) to one of its corners (eg bottom-left, top-right, ...) the rotation will be perfect.
Yacine