Force Shape Data entries?

Started by Michelle, May 14, 2009, 06:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle

I have created a template that contains a complicated shape that changes as the user enters info into the Shape Data.  I have been asked if there is any way to force the users to enter values to the Shape Data in any way? 

I was thinking maybe I could do it by adding my own "note box" (just a rectangle with some text) and tying it to the desired Shape Data category.  If I add a choice to the Shape Data category (which is a pull down) that is a generic default something like "Choose desired dimension" and making the note box I created dissappear if the value changes from this generic default.  Do you think this is a good plan? 

I wonder too, is there a way to force entry into Shape Data categories that are not pull down menus, but are just empty waiting for a text string to be manually entered.  This one I have no ideas for a work around... and the text string Shape Data info is possibly more important to constrain. 

TIA for any help, hope I made enough sense!
Michelle

wapperdude

Based upon the lack of responses, I'd say that it's difficult to understand your request.  Perhaps if you give a more specific example / explanation that might clarify things.  Or, even a very simple Visio example would be beneficial.

Have you already determined a solution?

Your third point seems to dismiss pull down menus.  There are two types, fixed and variable.  The variable allows selection from the provided list, or freedom to enter a value not listed.  Does that help at all?

Visio 2019 Pro

wmd

I am not sure I understand the entire question but will make an attempt to provide a solution that might help.

While it will not force an entry, you could place a default value in the stencil shape and check the box for "Ask on drop" (required you to be in developer mode).  This will display a prompt with the default value.  This doesn't force an entry but unless the user enters a value the default will be displayed.  One other item you need to do is set the set the shape to protect the text.  Otherwise a person can just double click and enter the text.  Once this occurs you have lost the link between the shape data and the text.  The only downside is that users will need to understand that updating the values requires them to update shape data and not just double click and change.

Hope this helps.