How to print last row of multi-page poster

Started by Jennifer, April 03, 2022, 11:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I created a huge poster for one of the grandkids. Visio has a very cool feature that will break a large image up into 8.5 x 11 pages that can then be taped together. Unfortunately, the printer ran out of one color, so the last 3 pages are not right.

Is there a way I can print just the last 3 pages? It's a 3 x 5 , so I just need the last row.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Surrogate

Quote from: Jennifer on April 03, 2022, 11:16:33 PMIs there a way I can print just the last 3 pages? It's a 3 x 5 , so I just need the last row.
Hi, Jennifer!
1. Select shapes which related with 'intrested row'.
2. Press keys Ctrl+P.
3. Choose option Print Selecion.

Jennifer

Quote from: Surrogate on April 04, 2022, 07:58:48 AM
Quote from: Jennifer on April 03, 2022, 11:16:33 PMIs there a way I can print just the last 3 pages? It's a 3 x 5 , so I just need the last row.
Hi, Jennifer!
1. Select shapes which related with 'intrested row'.
2. Press keys Ctrl+P.
3. Choose option Print Selecion.

I don't understand.

I have attached a screenshot of the Visio print page showing the page segments. The last 3 pages contain all or parts of 3 shapes: the bottom brick background, the bottom fireworks, and the bottom text. The first 2 are not completely contained in what will be the last 3 pages.

If I select just those shapes and print, I get the second attached screenshot. If I print that, I will get at least the bottom 6 pages, 3 of which I don't need or want. Will I also get 9 blank pages?

Is there no way for me to select just the last 3 pages from the first print page as shows in the first attachment?

Paul Herber

Can you save the file as an image e.g. .PNG, then edit it to remove the bits you don't want, then edit again to get it in page size bits.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

I can certainly save it as a png. I suppose I can then cut out the missing "pages". The problem is that it will require me to carefully select the scaling factor borders so that they match up correctly with the previously printed pages.

Visio has already done a great job of doing that. I just need a way to tell is to print selected "pages".

I just discovered that Acrobat "Poster" option under Print. It doesn't display the whole image broken up like Vision does, which I like, but numbers the segments (1-15) and allows to select any set of them to print. I just tested it. It divides the page along different lines, so I cannot just print the last 3 page segments. I will have to reprint the entire poster.

It's unfortunate that Visio doesn't have a similar option. Seems like a bug or design flaw to me. My suggestion would be a little selection box in the corner of each page segment like in the attached example. I could just click that box to select the segments I want to print.

Yacine

Print to PDF, then delete the pages you don't want.
Yacine

Jennifer

Quote from: Yacine on April 05, 2022, 05:18:08 AM
Print to PDF, then delete the pages you don't want.

Doh! Of course! I should have thought of that. It works great. I did a little fiddling around and came up with this procedure:

This is a way of printing very large "posters", like the ones I made for the kids' bedroom doors, on standard paper that can then be taped together to make the poster. Visio does a great job of breaking the large image up into pages with a small (~1/8") overlap making it easy to tape them together. I did not see a way to set the width of the overlap.

•   Click File | Print.
•   Under Printer, select Microsoft Print to PDF.
•   Under Settings,
        •   Select Letter size paper. You should see the image broken up into segments (pages).
                •   If your printer supports legal or other size paper, you can try that.
        •   Try switching between Portrait and Landscape orientation. One may use fewer pages.
        •   If printing just one page, select Print Current Page.
•   Click Print.
•   It may take a 10-15 seconds for Visio to complete the operation.
        •   During that time, the filesize in Explorer will show "0 KB" and the file cannot be opened.
•   The PDF can be opened and selected pages printed.

NOTE: When preparing to join 2 edges, only trim the white border on the side of the page that will be on top. This leaves more paper underneath for taping, making a more secure joint.

Jennifer

PS: Acrobat Reader can also break a large image up into overlapping pages. It does have a settable overlap parameter but does not have the ability to print selected pages. To achieve that, print the PDF to a PDF using the Poster option.

Using Visio saves a step and is visually clearer. If it just had the option to print selected segments, it would be perfect!