Picture / Photograph Mat Smart Shape

Started by wapperdude, November 29, 2010, 11:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

For those who might want to use Visio to frame a picture with a custom mat, here's a smart shape to help you out!

Either upon placement or upon double clicking, the shape will request both the outside dimensions and the inside opening dimensions.  The shape itself has two regions of selection.  The main shape which will bring up a right click context menu that will allow you to select single or double mat options, with either none, single, or double lines.  The other option allows you to lock the aspect ratio the the middle line / inner mat fill shape.  The inner line color and thickness is also part of the outer shape selection.  The inner region may be selected to change the color of the inner fill, the color of the intermediate (middle) line, and the line thickness.  Also, for convenience, you can enable / disable locking the aspect ratio of the middle line shape.

Note:  this shape does not include any framing shapes, just the mat.

Enjoy!
Wapperdude

Update:  modified the shape to remove some of the protections.  Should be easier to use.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Same functionality, modified the file to have some instructional notes.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Here's an update to the previously submitted Photograph mat shape.  This update includes the addition of a frame surrounding the mat.  All of the previous features are still included / updated from the original submission.  This allows you to better visualize the finished product.

I had to make a crude fill pattern to stay below the size limitation.  But, actual woodpattern pictures can be used for the frame fill patterns. 

Enjoy!

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

This is very cool. Thanks for taking the time to create it and post it.

I downloaded the vst file. I've never imported a smart shape before. Can you provide a short outline of the steps I need to complete to be able to use it?

Thanks
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Oh!  Actually, been awhile since I visited this thread.  Been a few updates since the last post.  Here are the two most recent...one portrait and one landscape.  Had to remove most of the custom fills as the files were way too big to post.

Each file has simple directions.  Basically, save the templates where Visio can find them.  Open template, follow directions.  When finished save as normal Visio drawing file.  Additionally, can save as png, jpg, etc.

Enjoy.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

That should keep me busy over the holiday break.  :)

If the complete templates with the custom fills are too large to post here, maybe you could upload them to Dropbox or something similar and post the link here. The fills shown above add a lot.

Thank you.

wapperdude

The attached file has 8 fill patterns.

The patterns can be copied to the Landscape version...one at a time.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer