Visio crashes when opening files

Started by oliverz, March 11, 2022, 07:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oliverz

Currently I've got really serious troubles with visio. When opening a file, which worked few days ago, now Visio just crashes and closes. This is the error information:

Faulting application name: VISIO.EXE, Version: 16.0.14827.20220, Timestamp: 0x6221a98d
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.527, timestamp: 0x931cda92
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Error offset: 0x000000000009326f
Faulting process ID: 0x3bc8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8350b5ea11a0d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\VISIO.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 6c1f970c-b73c-4ad4-9cb9-36157f642fd4
Full name of the faulty package:
Application ID relative to the faulty package:

Does somebody have any solutions? I've already tried reinstall, office repair, deactivating hardware accleration... also no Bluetooth Add-In is installed. Hope somebody can help me.

wapperdude

Is it just the file in question that causes the crash?  Can you create and save a new file?
Visio 2019 Pro

oliverz

Yes, I can create a new file and it works. It seems that files with imported data from an excel-file is causing the trouble... not sure. I also tried to create a new file and import data from excel and it works.

The files causing the crash haven't been changed since the last time they worked. I'm not sure if maybe some of the last Windows updates are responsible for that behaviour (KB4023057 and KB5011493 - Windows 11 Pro - were installed).

Thanks

Surrogate

Today I see same thread at docs.microsoft.com
Quote from: MarkD-8131I've got the same problem today after the latest Office 365 update., looks like a bug.
Was able to fix this by going to File - Options - Advanced in Visio, and checking out the "Disable Enhanced Metafile optimization" box to disable this option, under Display.

oliverz

Quote from: Surrogate on March 11, 2022, 07:41:49 AM
Today I see same thread at docs.microsoft.com
Quote from: MarkD-8131I've got the same problem today after the latest Office 365 update., looks like a bug.
Was able to fix this by going to File - Options - Advanced in Visio, and checking out the "Disable Enhanced Metafile optimization" box to disable this option, under Display.

Thank you! That worked for me too! :D

vojo

Same problem:  Files I could open in February now just crash Visio.
issue seems to be certain files as far back as 2015..other files are fine.
Web viewer has not problem opening file
2 different laptops have same problem and in 365 same problem
File converters have NO problem
Notepad++ can NOT interpret the OOXML
The stencils (created in 2020 and earlier) work on blank drawing
My templates are no longer visible on opening screen
File locations correct and have not change in several years.
Of course, MS keeps changing Visio every few months ...this could be the semi-annual f**k the user.
(used visio since 2000...over the years, the usual deprecation/devolution of function has occurred).

No error information or messages I can find.