How to 'merge' 2 shapes and preserve their properties?

Started by Jennifer, March 13, 2022, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Is there a way I can 'merge' 2 or more shapes into a single shape while preserving their properties such as color and line width?

I tried to merge these two lines using both Combine and Join, but both converted both lines to the same size and color. I think it was the properties of the first one selected.

Is there a way to create a single merged (Combined of Joined) shape that looks like the original?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Surrogate

Quote from: Jennifer on March 13, 2022, 09:30:50 PMIs there a way to create a single merged (Combined of Joined) shape that looks like the original?
It is impossible ! When you 'merge' multiple shapes, you get one new shape. And shape can only have one line color...
Quote from: John Marshall in postEach shape has a shapesheet. Grouping two shapes will create a new shape that refers to (and controls) the other two shapes. You end up with the a shape with three shapesheets. The original shapesheets are left intact.

When you use any of the commands under the Operations menu, like Combine with two shapes, both shapes are combined into a single shape. So you will end up with a single shapesheet that will have multiple Geometry sections. Also the original Geometry sections will be altered depending on the operation.

Also Each shape can have a single colour, grouing will retain the original colours while Combining the new shape will take on the colour of the first shape selected.

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Quote from: Surrogate on March 13, 2022, 10:24:08 PMIt is impossible ! When you 'merge' multiple shapes, you get one new shape. And shape can only have one line color...

Ok, thanks (sigh)

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on March 13, 2022, 10:42:42 PM
Grouping is the only way to go on this.

This is what I got.

Now, am I going to run into any other little gotchas if I make this a master shape and use it on my timelines?

wapperdude

The one potential "gotcha" would be adding fill color.  Not possible with this specific grouping.  If that is desired, you need to add a 3rd shape to the group...a rectangle.  The rectangle size needs to match the width/height defined by the 2 lines.  It needs to be sent to the back of the grouped shapes, and needs to have its border lines off.   You may have to edit its shapesheet, such that its fillforeground color is the same as the group's.  That way you don't have to click multiple times to select the rectangle.

The other caveat would be setting things like, e.g.,  line width.  If you merely select the group and change the width, then all lines will inherit the new value.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on March 15, 2022, 02:14:06 PM
The one potential "gotcha" would be adding fill color.  Not possible with this specific grouping.  If that is desired, you need to add a 3rd shape to the group...a rectangle.  The rectangle size needs to match the width/height defined by the 2 lines.  It needs to be sent to the back of the grouped shapes, and needs to have its border lines off.   You may have to edit its shapesheet, such that its fillforeground color is the same as the group's.  That way you don't have to click multiple times to select the rectangle.

The other caveat would be setting things like, e.g.,  line width.  If you merely select the group and change the width, then all lines will inherit the new value.

Great information, thanks.

The reason I wanted the horizontal line to be blue, the same color as the timeline, is so that it would not be visible. I was fixated on having a shape with a width that I could set to correctly position the vertical marker. I have since taken a step back and a more overall look. I wanted a shape with a width so I could use that width to position the marker. Then I realized that the X coordinate is a position. (duh)   :o :-[

Now I start by positioning the timeline, with its Pin Pos set to Center-Left, by setting its (X,Y) coordinates to something like (0.5,7). I make the X coordinate (0.5) and the length (10) parameters on the sheet that calculates the position (offset) that each marker should have on the timeline. It adds that value to the marker's position. I now have the (X,Y) coordinates for the markers relative to the timeline.  ;)

The marker master shape is now just a vertical line with the Pin Pos set to Bottom-Center. When I need a marker, I drag one onto the sheet. With it still selected, I set the X value to the calculated position from the sheet and the Y value to the same as the timeline. Voila. It's perfectly positioned. And if it's a down marker, I flip it vertically. It remains perfectly positioned with its "top" correctly attached to the timeline.

This solves quite a few problems. I don't have to drag the marker into place and risk getting them off a bit. There are no more horizontal lines that I need to hide. And the timeline is easier to select, such as to bring it forward, without a lot of other lines in the same place.

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions. I have learned a lot with this little project.