Can I turn off the border on 3 sides of a rectangle?

Started by Jennifer, March 13, 2022, 12:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Is there a way that I can remove the border (line) on 3 sides of a rectangle shape leaving it on on the 4th?

It would look like this:

I got this image by turning setting line to "No Line" for the rectangle shape and grouping it with a line shape.

This might work, but I'd rather not use a group if there is a way to control each of sides of the rectangle shape.

Thanks
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Paul Herber

Stencil attached.
To get a shape like this you need to add a new geometry section to a basic rectangle. The new geometry section just has a line going from top to bottom on the right-hand side. The original geometry section can then be made invisible. But it is this original geometry section that provides the whole shape outline (but without the line if you see what I mean) and provides the area for any fill colour.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on March 13, 2022, 04:59:23 PM
Stencil attached.
To get a shape like this you need to add a new geometry section to a basic rectangle. The new geometry section just has a line going from top to bottom on the right-hand side. The original geometry section can then be made invisible. But it is this original geometry section that provides the whole shape outline (but without the line if you see what I mean) and provides the area for any fill colour.

Thanks for that. Another solution came to me in a dream last night. 🙄 (I think I am taking this way too seriously.)

I connected a vertical line to the right end of a horizontal one and then Combined them. I then set the Pin Pos to Center-Left. That gives me a shape that, when positioned on the timeline and moved to the background, looks like just a vertical marker that stays aligned with the left end of the timeline if the Width is changed. That is what I was going for. Sorry I didn't explain it better.

Should I have Joined the 2 lines, rather than combining them?

wapperdude

Manipulating a quadrilateral to maintain fill coloring, using only Geometry1 section.  This can be extended to other objects such as triangles, partial circles, etc.

As you shrink/grow timeline, the position of the markers ought to remain relative consistency with the group sizing.

So, now that you know about adding/removing to/from a group, did you also discover changing a shape directly into a group?  This could be applied several ways.  For example, without any previous grouping, and assuming that everything is properly positioned on your timeline shape, select just that shape, and then convert it to a group.  Now, keeping the timeline selected, add the rest of the associated shapes to the selection and then do an add to group.  All objects will belong to the timeline group and their position will be relative to the group.  Might be useful.

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Quote from: Jennifer on March 13, 2022, 06:40:17 PM

Should I have Joined the 2 lines, rather than combining them?

Not sure it matters.  If you look at the resulting shapesheet, Combining produces 2 geometry  sections, whereas, Joining produces a single geometry section.  Not sure there's an advantage either way.  The Combining might allow somewhat easier hiding of a single line segment => setting the section to NoShow, the joining might allow easier filling similar to what I showed in your other thread:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=9822.msg44636;topicseen#msg44636
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on March 13, 2022, 07:46:24 PM
Manipulating a quadrilateral to maintain fill coloring, using only Geometry1 section.  This can be extended to other objects such as triangles, partial circles, etc.

As you shrink/grow timeline, the position of the markers ought to remain relative consistency with the group sizing.

So, now that you know about adding/removing to/from a group, did you also discover changing a shape directly into a group?  This could be applied several ways.  For example, without any previous grouping, and assuming that everything is properly positioned on your timeline shape, select just that shape, and then convert it to a group.  Now, keeping the timeline selected, add the rest of the associated shapes to the selection and then do an add to group.  All objects will belong to the timeline group and their position will be relative to the group.  Might be useful.

Ok, thanks. I'll work on that.

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on March 13, 2022, 08:12:03 PM
Not sure it matters.  If you look at the resulting shapesheet, Combining produces 2 geometry  sections, whereas, Joining produces a single geometry section.  Not sure there's an advantage either way.  The Combining might allow somewhat easier hiding of a single line segment => setting the section to NoShow, the joining might allow easier filling similar to what I showed in your other thread:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=9822.msg44636;topicseen#msg44636

Ok, thanks