Trivial hack with arrow heads

Started by Yacine, March 03, 2022, 06:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yacine

I was doing a process flow diagram yesterday and thought that all connectors should have arrow ends to better show the flows.
So I opened the document stencil and formatted accordingly the general connector.
After the refresh I was not really happy with the result because all tiny connector bits also had arrow heads. Not nice.
I thought that I would now need to use another - differently formatted - master.
Of course not!
I re-opened the general connector in the document stencil.
In the pagesheet I added a custom property "MinArrowLen" to define centrally a minimum length under which no arrow heads would be displayed.
In the shapesheet of the connector I added a user cell "length" with a calculation of the distance of Begin to End (no real length) - good enough for the purpose. SQRT of Delta-Y + Delta-X.
A second user cell "Arrow" got the formula: if(user.Length<ThePage!prop.MinArrowLen,0,13). And the line end cell was then modified to reference user.Arrow.

This is so simple and neat, it made me smile.

Thought I share it. Visio is a great tool.
Yacine

Paul Herber

I do wish there were better options for arrow heads within Visio, new arrow head types and resizing methods would be nice.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Yacine

I agree, despite you can still create your own line ends.
Yacine