Author Topic: Trivial hack with arrow heads  (Read 838 times)

Yacine

Trivial hack with arrow heads
« on: March 03, 2022, 01:27:11 PM »
I was doing a process flow diagram yesterday and thought that all connectors should have arrow ends to better show the flows.
So I opened the document stencil and formatted accordingly the general connector.
After the refresh I was not really happy with the result because all tiny connector bits also had arrow heads. Not nice.
I thought that I would now need to use another - differently formatted - master.
Of course not!
I re-opened the general connector in the document stencil.
In the pagesheet I added a custom property "MinArrowLen" to define centrally a minimum length under which no arrow heads would be displayed.
In the shapesheet of the connector I added a user cell "length" with a calculation of the distance of Begin to End (no real length) - good enough for the purpose. SQRT of Delta-Y + Delta-X.
A second user cell "Arrow" got the formula: if(user.Length<ThePage!prop.MinArrowLen,0,13). And the line end cell was then modified to reference user.Arrow.

This is so simple and neat, it made me smile.

Thought I share it. Visio is a great tool.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 02:22:37 PM by Yacine »
Yacine

Paul Herber

• Global Moderator
    • Paul Herber's website
Re: Trivial hack with arrow heads
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 03:49:21 AM »
I do wish there were better options for arrow heads within Visio, new arrow head types and resizing methods would be nice.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils and applications for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Yacine

Re: Trivial hack with arrow heads
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 05:07:51 AM »
I agree, despite you can still create your own line ends.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:23:19 AM by Yacine »
Yacine