Adding a new user row to a shape breaks inheritance of all existing user rows!

Started by Visisthebest, February 09, 2022, 10:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

I was not aware of this behavior but I think very important to be aware of.

Some shapes I use have 50+ user rows, I did not know that if I just add one more row all 50 existing rows have to be de-inherited and copied to the local shape. I hope this behavior has changed (improved) in more recent Visio versions, never read about this except for this very interesting blog by Surrogate!

"There is an important issue to be aware of when working with User-defined rows - or any Shapesheet section with nameable rows.  Adding a new row to the section breaks the inheritance of all existing rows in the section.  The rows and cell values are forced to become local.  This can adversely affect performance, memory consumption and file size because one addition can ruin the party for every other row."

https://surrogate-tm.github.io/visio/2006/10/13/more-on-inheritance-and-performance.htm
Visio 2021 Professional

Yacine

Yacine

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on February 09, 2022, 10:31:54 AM
never read about this except for this very interesting blog by Surrogate!
Sorry, this post originally posted at 2006 !
Quote from: Surrogate on June 21, 2016, 08:19:44 AM
Scooter is not mine, I just posted an ANNOUNCEMENT!
This is just backup of Visio Insight blog post ! In 2018 all TechNet blogs are retired and created backu for all MS Visio related blogs.
After a while, some of the Visio Insight blog entries were moved to TechCommunity. This post is available More on Inheritance and Performance

Visisthebest

Great you made a backup it would have been a shame to lose this information!
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on February 09, 2022, 11:56:37 AM
Great you made a backup it would have been a shame to lose this information!
Then in the summer of 2018, I didn't know if the blog entries would be moved to the new location.
My backup is better than the official one: in 2018 some of the posts had lost some pictures, I used web.archive.org to add to my backup what I could find.

Visisthebest

Thank you Surrogate you saved some valuable insights and information about Visio, I went throught the articles very useful!
Visio 2021 Professional