Is it possible to change shapesheet window to item currently selected?

Started by Visisthebest, January 27, 2022, 09:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

When opening up a shapesheet window for a shape, as far as I know it is only ever showing the shapesheet for the shape you opened the shapesheet for. Is it possible to open a shapesheet window where the contents change to the shape you select on the page? This would be very helpful for some workflows.
Visio 2021 Professional

Croc

This can be done using a macro that handles the SelectionChanged event.
The EnableShapeSheet macro is needed to activate the handler

Dim WithEvents w As Visio.Window

Sub EnableShapeSheet()
    Set w = ActiveWindow
End Sub

Private Sub w_SelectionChanged(ByVal Window As IVWindow)
    If ActiveWindow.Selection.Count = 1 Then Application.DoCmd (2167)
End Sub

Visisthebest

Visio 2021 Professional

Nikolay

I have tried to solve it to some extent some ten years ago with "Shape Sheet Watch" add-in (have not updated it for a while unfortunately, also the docs are quite poor)
But it's purpose is more or less that - you select a number of Shape Sheet cells you want to watch/update on some shapes, and you can do that using its UI.
I.e. their values reflect current selection, and they are editable (also you can do multi-select for example to apply values to some shapes).

https://unmanagedvisio.com/shapesheet-watch-multiselect/

I'd say it's kind of obviously missing feature, and it's missing for decades. But looks like Microsoft is more focused now online version.

wapperdude

@Nikolay:  Yikes!  When I upgraded to V2019, I never got around to reinstalling your Watch program and eventually, out-of-sight = out-of-mind.  So glad for this post.  Now have a short chore for today.

@Croc:  looks interesting.  Will check it out.

@Visisthebest:  Definitely would be a great workflow benefit. 
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

Visio 2021 Professional