Visio snapping Windows to the left and right half

Started by Visisthebest, January 26, 2022, 12:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

I am not a big fan of how Visio handles multiple Windows, especially when working with a drawing page and a shapesheet window. Messy.

Is there a way to snap the drawing window to the left half and the shapesheet the the right half of the screen, just like you do in Windows 10 with applications (Word on the left, browser on the right etc)?

This would make Visio life a lot better!  :D
Visio 2021 Professional

Yacine

I fully agree with you!
I usually do stretch be Visio window over both screens when I want to have both views side by side.
More often the smaller "drawing view" is just fine.
A Window split as Excel does it (especially New Window) would be "really" nice.
Yacine

wapperdude

;D ;D ;D

Well, for single monitor, split screen displaying, I have two preferences.  Number 1, when doing code development, I prefer the left/right split...specifically, the code window on the right screen half.  I like to view the drawing window, on the left, to watch changes as I step thru the code.  There are times that the left half gets split with a stacked drawing/shapesheet view.  That window then becomes the drawing page for upper half and shapesheet the lower half.  Such an arrangement works well if you want to expand either of the left/right views to be full screen.

My 2nd preference I already alluded to, that is, upper/lower viewing split for the drawing/shapesheet windows.  I've tried the lefty-righty split, but, for me, it's not comfortable / effective.  I prefer having a full monitor width when viewing shapesheet rows.   I collapse sections I'm not interested in. So for me, scrolling across rows is more frequent than scrolling up/down thru sections.  By collapsing sections, the up/down scrolling expanse can be minimized.

Typically, Visio defaults to upper/lower split configuration... works well for me.   Not seen a way to set the preference within Visio.  There is a 3rd party app, which I don't recall the name, that did improve this experience.  VisioGuy posted about it a few years ago, circa 2010.

Update:  A 2005 reference:  You can insert a new window (Window > New Window). Then you can tile them
under Window > Tile. Hold the Ctrl key to get horizontal tiling.

Unfortunately, the scrolling won't stay synchronized. There's really no
Excel-like "freeze pane" functionality, but as long as you scroll in only
one direction, you'll be alright.

Hope this helps,
Chris Roth
Visio MVP

Update 2:  Ah!  Found it!!! The program name is AquaSnap.  Here's VisioGuy reference:  http://www.visguy.com/2010/08/01/take-control-of-visio-window-arrangement-with-aquasnap/
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

Thank you that is a very old article about AquaSnap but happy to report it works great on an uptodate Windows 10 machine! Working with the diagram and shapesheet in Visio works MUCH better now thank you Wapperdude and VisioGuy for the article!

I wonder if it still works well on Windows 11, not specified on their website, but I have a hunch it will work well.

https://www.nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap

For people that use Visio personally Aquasnap is actually free, for business a reasonable $18 and if you get 3 licenses just $12 per license.

They also have a product called TidyTabs which I guess allows tabbing Visio MDI Windows. Will also look in to that! (update: that doesn't seem to work, but as AquaSnap solves the issue entirely it doesn't matter)
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

Make sure you watch their video.  It shows all the things that aqua snap can do.  One caveat, to have everyone of those features you have to upgrade from free to pro version.
Visio 2019 Pro