Visio doesn't seem to want me to reorder the background pages

Started by Jennifer, January 18, 2022, 09:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

As part of a bathroom remodel project, I have several photos of the existing layout. I made them background pages so I could add instructions for Plan A, Plan B, etc. I just tried to reorder these background pages so they would be in the same order as the foreground pages, but Visio won't let me move them. Is there a rational reason for this?

More importantly, is there a way to move them?

Ideally, I would be able to move them in amongst the foreground pages that are based on them, but I'm not expecting that.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Background pages are relegated to be behind the last drawing page.  As far as I know, there's no reordering mechanism for them.  As they are seldom "touched" and only viewed in the context of drawing pages that call them, not intermingling them with drawing pages is deemed preferable...for example, large drawing with added indexing, the intermingling would complicate the page numbering.  Think of it as a book with multiple appendices, they're at the end, nor scattered throughout the book.

FYI, BTW, it is possible to "stack" background pages.  By that, I mean when you do page setup for a background page, you can assign any of the other background pages as its background.  Can be useful at times.  Just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't discovered that. 
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on January 18, 2022, 03:42:44 PM
Background pages are relegated to be behind the last drawing page.  As far as I know, there's no reordering mechanism for them.
Not a big deal, but seems like a design flaw to me.

QuoteAs they are seldom "touched" and only viewed in the context of drawing pages that call them, not intermingling them with drawing pages is deemed preferable...for example, large drawing with added indexing, the intermingling would complicate the page numbering.
That's a point.

QuoteThink of it as a book with multiple appendices, they're at the end, nor scattered throughout the book.
This does not seem like a good analogy to me. The content of appendices pertains to the entire book. Background pages only apply to those foreground pages that are based on them. I think of it more like footnotes. Some books put them at the end of each chapter. But this is a minor point.

QuoteFYI, BTW, it is possible to "stack" background pages.  By that, I mean when you do page setup for a background page, you can assign any of the other background pages as its background.  Can be useful at times.  Just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't discovered that.
Yes, I am aware of that, but I don't see how it applies here. Can you enlighten me?

wapperdude

QuoteYes, I am aware of that, but I don't see how it applies here. Can you enlighten me?

Oh, that was just an FYI.  Don't think it applies for this case....most of the time layers would be more appropriate method.   But, just imagining
hypothetically...

Let's say you have this basic floor space, could be your bathroom.  So, the empty, down to the studs floor space would be your baseline bkgnd.  Then maybe you want to investigate a couple layout options:  toilet/tub/shower.  Perhaps each variation would be the next level bkgnd.  These typically don't shift too much so using bkgnd could be a good technique.  Maybe you want to explore design pros/cons for each.  So these options would become the basis for your drawing pages.  Drawing pages might have layers for plumbing, electrical, counter, cabinets, etc.

Not saying it's a good thing to do, just a possibility.  Definitely not recommending starting over. It's just my crazy imagination. Seatbelt light is now off.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on January 18, 2022, 05:22:43 PM
QuoteYes, I am aware of that, but I don't see how it applies here. Can you enlighten me?

Oh, that was just an FYI.  Don't think it applies for this case....most of the time layers would be more appropriate method.   But, just imagining
hypothetically...

Let's say you have this basic floor space, could be your bathroom.  So, the empty, down to the studs floor space would be your baseline bkgnd.  Then maybe you want to investigate a couple layout options:  toilet/tub/shower.  Perhaps each variation would be the next level bkgnd.  These typically don't shift too much so using bkgnd could be a good technique.  Maybe you want to explore design pros/cons for each.  So these options would become the basis for your drawing pages.  Drawing pages might have layers for plumbing, electrical, counter, cabinets, etc.
OK, got it.

QuoteNot saying it's a good thing to do, just a possibility.  Definitely not recommending starting over. It's just my crazy imagination. Seatbelt light is now off.
Too much imagination is way better than not enough. I've been watching the grandkids. Their imaginations are incredible. But over time, a lot of that gets socialized out by disengaged parents, routine-bound schools, etc. Really too bad.