How to make a background shape printable?

Started by Jennifer, January 18, 2022, 12:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

We are doing a bathroom remodel. I took a photo of the bathroom as it is now and put it in a background page. Then in several foreground pages, I added comments about what is to change. But when I select all objects on one of the foreground pages and save it as a jpg file, only the markup arfe included -- no photo.

I went to Developer | Behavior. The Non-printing shape box is unchecked.

I checked the Shape sheet. The NonPrinting box in Miscellaneous in set to False.

What do I need to do to get it to print with the foreground pages?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Don't do any selecting.  Selection precludes all objects not selected.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on January 18, 2022, 01:15:52 AM
Don't do any selecting.  Selection precludes all objects not selected.

Wow! I wonder how I never ran into this before.

Thank you!

Jennifer

PS: Is there a way to make a background shape selectable in the foreground page?

wapperdude

No.  That's why it's a background.  Probably could right some code to select it...but I could see that getting to be complicated in a hurry.

Probably easiest solution, without bringing it to foreground might be to use layers.  Then use the layers to hide objects.  At least it avoids the selection process.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on January 18, 2022, 02:22:24 AM
No.  That's why it's a background.  Probably could right some code to select it...but I could see that getting to be complicated in a hurry.

Probably easiest solution, without bringing it to foreground might be to use layers.  Then use the layers to hide objects.  At least it avoids the selection process.

The layers would only apply to the objects in the foreground page, right?

I can't put the background objects in a layer and make that layer printable, right?

wapperdude

Yes.  Layers apply to foreground shapes.  The idea would be to hide what you don't want printed.

Another possibility, small macro that would hide what's selected.  Then print.  Then 2nd macro to unhide.

Yet another idea...1st, add a special "printing" page.  Then select the desired foreground shapes, copy, and paste to the printing page.  Unselect.  Print.  Then remove objects from said printing page.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on January 18, 2022, 02:35:43 AM
Yes.  Layers apply to foreground shapes.  The idea would be to hide what you don't want printed.

Another possibility, small macro that would hide what's selected.  Then print.  Then 2nd macro to unhide.

Yet another idea...add a special "printing".  Select desired foreground shapes, copy, and paste to the printing page.  Unselect.  Print.  Then remove objects from said printing page.

I think your first suggestion is the best for me. If it turns out that I need to print less than everything, but include the background objects, I'll create one or more layers in the foreground page and manage it that way.

Thanks for the ideas.