I cannot get the right scale factors after hours of tweaking...

Started by sniper_x, January 12, 2022, 12:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniper_x

Why can I not get this right?

I have professionally made shapes from APC and these rac shapes are awesome.
However, I cannot ever get the dimensional shapes to give the right measurements.

each number space in a rack is 1.75" but it shows 0.22" when I use a dimensioning shape that measures distance.

wapperdude

Did you set the Drawing Scale for the page?  Default is "No scale".  That would require you to shrink the shape to fit the drawing page.  Result would be shape is no longer correct size.
Visio 2019 Pro

sniper_x

wapperdude

Can you upload sample Visio file?

I had downloaded the APC stencil, but there are a lot of shapes.  I dragged over a rack shape just to check, which is what prompted my question.  Since the rack is scaled to 84" tall, then with portrait orientation, custom drawing scale 1" = 8", the page is 88" tall and the rack just fits.  I used a dimensioning shape and all was well.

Based upon your original post, it did not seem like a metric vs US units issue.
Visio 2019 Pro

sniper_x

Using that setup you have, now load the visio architectural or engineering shapes.

Measure the distance across 1 U space.
It should show 1.75"

The image I included in the original post shows the issue too.

wapperdude

So far, not seen any images or uploaded files.

But, the process that you describe is the process that I used.

Kinda stuck until attachments show up. 
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

That's not useful.  Need actual Visio file.  Download the file I previously attached and see how things work on your computer and then post results.
Visio 2019 Pro

sniper_x

So your file - when i looked at it in Visio myself, does lay out correctly.
When I make a new file, and pick US units, then lay in a cabinet from APC, then pull out the dimensioning shapes, it gives a wrong value.

I have attached it.
What did you do differently?

wapperdude

I have a busy morning, so it will be awhile before I can look at this.  Perhaps someone else will intervene.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Looked at your file.  It is as I suggested in my 1st two replies.

As it presently is, select the rack.  In the Size and Position window, you will see that the shape measures width = 2.9528 in and height = 7.6772 in.  (At some point in time, you must've dropped the shape on a page with incorrect scale settings and then manually resized it to fit that page.)

To recover and restore both the page and shape settings:
1) right click on the Page Tab (Page-1), and select Page Setup.
2) in the pop-up, select Drawing Scale tab
    > No-scale is selected.
    > change the selection to Custom scale. 
    > The entries should be changed such that 1 in = 8 in
    > select OK
3) the rack will look really small right now.  You need to restore it to its normal size.
    > either drag a new rack shape from the APC stencil or, alternatively,
    > restore this rack to its normal size
           > select the rack enable Aspect Ratio Protection
           > then, set the height to 77 in.  The width will enlarge accordingly.
           > the measurement tool will read 1.75 in

The thing to remember, when dealing with scaled objects, the Drawing Page settings must be reviewed and set to accommodate the shapes.  In this case, I suggested using 1 => 8.  That provides a nice, complete view of the rack.  But, other settings are valid, just don't stretch/squish the shape to fit the page.  Adjust the scaling.

Visio 2019 Pro